1. According to research, what is a benefit associated with higher education for police officers?
Better Communication with public and better report writing
2. Approximately what percent of all sworn law enforcement in the U.S. are female?
3. Which police style involves the least amount of discretion?
4. Which of the following factors is not associated with low-visibility decision making?
Discretion, violence, abusive practice
5. According to the text, which of the following may be the significant factor in controlling police brutality going forward?
Implementing neighborhoods and community policing models to improve relations
6. What U.S. Supreme Court case deemed the use of deadly force against an unarmed and non-dangerous fleeing felon an illegal seizure under the Fourth Amendment?
Tennessee v. Garner
7. Which of the following did the Knapp Commission conclude in its investigation of corruption with the NYPD during the 1970s?
NY police were...
8. What does the term 'Blue Curtain" describe?
The police subculture
9. What are the six core beliefs at the heart of the police culture?
1. police are the only real crime fighters 2. loyalty to collegues should be above all 3. no one understands 4. impossible to win war against crime without bending the rules 5/ public is unsupportive & unrealistic 6. patrol work is the pits.
10. What trait is said to be found at all levels of policing?
11. An officer approaches a group of teenagers drinking beer, checks everyone's ID, and arrests all who are underage would typify which style of policing?
12. An officer that approaches a group of teenagers standing in a parking lot, checks them for gang symbols, and calls into the station to ascertain if any of them have active warrants exemplifies which style of policing?
13. Which police style involves problem solving and is therefore well suited for community policing?
14. Which police style is associated with the preference to ignore issues of concern or treat them informally, unless the social or potential order is being jeopardized?
15. In which of the police situations would a police officer exercise the greatest amount of discretion?
16. There is probably more evidence that a police personality is what?
cynical- after experiencing the police subculture
17. Cynical attitudes by the police often result in what?
Resistence to change and conservative opinions
18. Which style of policing is most likely to be caught sleeping on duty?
19. The Supreme Court upheld the use of racial quotas as a means of reversing the effects of discrimination in what case?
U.S. v. Paradise
20. When did the first woman join the Los Angles Police department?
21. Selective enforcement of the law, deciding to provide police services, and the decision to investigate a reported crime are examples of an officer using what?
22. Which person is most likely to be arrested?
23. Which type of corrupt police officer aggressively uses police power for personal gain?
24. Court decisions that limit police discretion are an example of what?
25. What percent of all complaints filed against the police for misconduct are from nonwhite males under the age of 30?
26. What style of policing is characterized by an emphasis on maintaining public order?
27. What style of policing thinks of officers as troubleshooters who repair the social fabric of society?
28. What style of policing views the investigation and apprehension of serious crimes as the most important aspect of policing?
29. The watchman style of policing emphasizes law enforcement over order maintenance.
30. Those officers who are most likely to aspire to command rank exhibit the watchman style of policing.