Create an account
1. According to research, what is a benefit associated with higher education for police officers?
Better Communication with public and better report writing
4. Which of the following factors is not associated with low-visibility decision making?
Discretion, violence, abusive practice
5. According to the text, which of the following may be the significant factor in controlling police brutality going forward?
Implementing neighborhoods and community policing models to improve relations
6. What U.S. Supreme Court case deemed the use of deadly force against an unarmed and non-dangerous fleeing felon an illegal seizure under the Fourth Amendment?
Tennessee v. Garner
7. Which of the following did the Knapp Commission conclude in its investigation of corruption with the NYPD during the 1970s?
NY police were...
9. What are the six core beliefs at the heart of the police culture?
1. police are the only real crime fighters
2. loyalty to collegues should be above all
3. no one understands
4. impossible to win war against crime without bending the rules
5/ public is unsupportive & unrealistic
6. patrol work is the pits.
11. An officer approaches a group of teenagers drinking beer, checks everyone's ID, and arrests all who are underage would typify which style of policing?
12. An officer that approaches a group of teenagers standing in a parking lot, checks them for gang symbols, and calls into the station to ascertain if any of them have active warrants exemplifies which style of policing?
13. Which police style involves problem solving and is therefore well suited for community policing?
14. Which police style is associated with the preference to ignore issues of concern or treat them informally, unless the social or potential order is being jeopardized?
15. In which of the police situations would a police officer exercise the greatest amount of discretion?
16. There is probably more evidence that a police personality is what?
cynical- after experiencing the police subculture
17. Cynical attitudes by the police often result in what?
Resistence to change and conservative opinions
19. The Supreme Court upheld the use of racial quotas as a means of reversing the effects of discrimination in what case?
U.S. v. Paradise
21. Selective enforcement of the law, deciding to provide police services, and the decision to investigate a reported crime are examples of an officer using what?
23. Which type of corrupt police officer aggressively uses police power for personal gain?
25. What percent of all complaints filed against the police for misconduct are from nonwhite males under the age of 30?
27. What style of policing thinks of officers as troubleshooters who repair the social fabric of society?
28. What style of policing views the investigation and apprehension of serious crimes as the most important aspect of policing?
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together