Macbeth Act 1 Trivia
What does Duncan call Macbeth when he hears Macbeth has defeated Macdonwald?
He calls him "valiant Cousin! Worthy gentleman!" This is ironic, being said to the man who will be his murderer.
Who is sentenced to death in Act 1?
The Thane of Cawdor is sentenced to death.
What do the witches predict in Act 1 for Macbeth?
They predict Macbeth will be Thane of Cawdor and eventually the king.
6. Banquo, like Macbeth, is surprised that the witches have predicted Macbeth's new title. He is,
however, leery. What does Banquo say about the motives of the "instruments of darkness"?
He says they often tell of good things which may happen without telling the bad consequences.
8. Macbeth says, "Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires." What are Macbeth's desires?
He now desires to be the king, and he realizes that something will have to be done with the
present king (and his sons) before his desires can become reality.
9. After Lady Macbeth reads the letter, what does she tell us is her opinion of Macbeth, and how does she plan to help him?
In short, Lady Macbeth thinks Macbeth could be a good king, but he lacks the hardheartedness which would allow him to get to the position. She'll talk him into it.
10. What is Lady Macbeth's "prayer" to the spirits after she learns Duncan is coming"?
She wants to be filled with cruelty, given a hard heart and the thick blood necessary to do what has to be done in order to make Macbeth king.
11. What advice does Lady Macbeth give Macbeth when he arrives home?
She tells him he must learn to look innocent even when his heart is full of evil. He has to learn to hide his true feelings.
12. What are Macbeth's arguments to himself against killing Duncan?
Macbeth is Duncan's kinsman and his subject. Duncan is a good king and virtuous man; he has done no particular evil.
13. What arguments does Lady Macbeth use to convince Macbeth to commit the murder?
She tells him not to be a coward, not to say later that he "could have been" when he could "be" king. She tells him to be a man and go get what he wants.
14. What is Lady Macbeth's plan for killing Duncan?
She will drug the kings grooms (guards). Macbeth will then go into the king's room and murder him in his sleep.
Who does Duncan say will be king after him?
His son, Malcolm.