5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Fourth shell of an atom can contain how many electrons?
- Chemical Bonds
- Second shell of an atom can contain how many electrons?
- a 18
- b 8
- c A substance that is dissolved in a solution.
- d The dissolving agent of a solution. Water is the most versatile solvent known.
- e An attraction between two atoms resulting from a sharing of outer-shell electrons or the presence of opposite charges on the atoms. The bonded atoms gain complete outer electron shells.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A compound resulting from the formation of ionic bonds; also called an ionic compound.
- The total mass of an atom; also called atomic weight. Given as a whole number, the atomic mass approximately equals the mass number.
- A substance that decreases the hydrogen ion concentration in a solution. 14 is a strong base on the pH scale.
- A subatomic particle with a single positive electrical charge, found in the nucleus of an atom.
5 True/False questions
Electron Shells → A subatomic particle with a single negative electrical charge. One or more electrons move around the nuclues of an atom.
Cohesion → The attraction between different kinds of molecules.
Ionic Bond → A chemical bond resulting from the attraction between oppositely charged ions.
Nonpolar Covalent Bonds → A strong chemical bond in which two atoms share one or more pairs of outer-shell electrons.
Atom → A substance that increases the hydrogen ion concentration in a solution. 0 on pH scale is a strong acid.