5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Golgi apparatus
- nuclear envelope
- a A macromolecule consisting of one or more polypeptides linked to short chains of sugars.
- b An organelle in eukaryotic cells consisting of stacks of membranous sacs that modify, store, and ship products of the endoplasmic reticulum.
- c An open channel in a plant cell wall through which strands of cytoplasm connect from adjacent cells.
- d A double membrane, perforated with pores, which encloses the nucleus and separates it from the rest of the eukaryotic cell.
- e A threadlike, gene-carrying structure found in the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell and most visible during mitosis and meiosis; also, the main gene-carrying structure of a prokaryotic cell. Chromosomes consist of chromatin, a combination of DNA and protein.
5 Multiple choice questions
- (1) An atom's central core, containing protons and neutrons. (2) The genetic control center of a eukaryotic cell.
- A sac made of membrane in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell.
- An infolding of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion in which is embedded the electron transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
- A protective layer external to the plasma membrane in plant cells, bacteria, fungi, and some protists; protects the cell and helps maintain its shape.
- A type of cell lacking a membrane-enclosed nucleus and other membrane-enclosed organelles; found only in the domains Bacteria and Archaea.
5 True/False questions
cell theory → A protective layer external to the plasma membrane in plant cells, bacteria, fungi, and some protists; protects the cell and helps maintain its shape.
Transport vesicle → A tiny membranous sac in a cell's cytoplasm carrying molecules produced by the cell. The vesicle buds from the endoplasmic reticulum or Golgi and eventually fuses with another membranous organelle or the plasma membrane, releasing its contents.
nucleoid → A dense region of DNA in a prokaryotic cell.
cytoskeleton → Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
chromatin → The fluid of the chloroplast surrounding the thylakoid membrane; involved in the synthesis of organic molecules from carbon dioxide and water; Sugars are made in the stroma by the enzymes of the Calvin cycle.