5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- plasma membrane
- intermediate filament
- Reverse Transcriptase
- Transport vesicle
- a Makes RNA into DNA
- b An intermediate-sized protein fiber that is one of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of eukaryotic cells. Intermediate filaments are ropelike, made of fibrous proteins.
- c The membrane that sets a cell off from its surroundings and acts as a selective barrier to the passage of ions and molecules into and out of the cell; consists of a phospholipid bilayer in which are embedded molecules of protein and cholesterol.
- d A tiny membranous sac in a cell's cytoplasm carrying molecules produced by the cell. The vesicle buds from the endoplasmic reticulum or Golgi and eventually fuses with another membranous organelle or the plasma membrane, releasing its contents.
- e A membrane-enclosed sac that is part of the endomembrane system of a eukaryotic cell, having diverse functions.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A structure within the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell where ribosomal RNA is made and assembled with proteins imported from the cytoplasm to make ribosomal subunits.
- (1) An atom's central core, containing protons and neutrons. (2) The genetic control center of a eukaryotic cell.
- A structure in an animal cell composed of cylinders of microtubule triplets arranged in a 9 and 0 pattern. An animal usually has a centrosome with a pair of centrioles involved in cell division.
- A network of protein fibers in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell; includes microfilaments, intermediate filaments, and microtubules.
- The complex of DNA and proteins that constitutes eukaryotic chromosomes; often used to refer to the diffuse, very extended form taken by chromosomes when a cell is not dividing.
5 True/False questions
transmission electron microscope → A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the surface architecture of a cell or other specimen.
micrograph → A photograph taken through a microscope.
nuclear envelope → A double membrane, perforated with pores, which encloses the nucleus and separates it from the rest of the eukaryotic cell.
flagellum → A membrane-enclosed structure with a specialized function within a cell.
light microscope (LM) → An optical instrument with lenses that refract (bend) visible light to magnify images and project them into a viewer's eye or onto photographic film.