5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- nuclear envelope
- plasma membrane
- a A membrane-enclosed sac that is part of the endomembrane system of a eukaryotic cell, having diverse functions.
- b A cell structure consisting of RNA and protein organized into two subunits and functioning as the site of protein synthesis in the cytoplasm. The ribosomal subunits are constructed in the nucleolus.
- c A double membrane, perforated with pores, which encloses the nucleus and separates it from the rest of the eukaryotic cell.
- d The membrane that sets a cell off from its surroundings and acts as a selective barrier to the passage of ions and molecules into and out of the cell; consists of a phospholipid bilayer in which are embedded molecules of protein and cholesterol.
- e A long cellular appendage specialized for locomotion. The flagella of prokaryotes and eukaryotes differ in both structure and function. Like cilia, eukaryotic flagella have a 9 + 2 arrangement of microtubules covered by the cell's plasma membrane.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A dense region of DNA in a prokaryotic cell.
- An organelle in eukaryotic cells where cellular respiration occurs. Enclosed by two concentric membranes, it is where most of the cell's ATP is made.
- An infolding of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion in which is embedded the electron transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
- A sac made of membrane in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell.
- A protective layer external to the plasma membrane in plant cells, bacteria, fungi, and some protists; protects the cell and helps maintain its shape.
5 True/False questions
organelle → A stack of hollow disks formed of thylakoid membrane in a chloroplast. Grana are the sites where light energy is trapped by chlorophyll and converted to chemical energy during the light reactions of photosynthesis.
chloroplast → Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
intermediate filament → An intermediate-sized protein fiber that is one of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of eukaryotic cells. Intermediate filaments are ropelike, made of fibrous proteins.
cytoplasm → Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
microfilament → The thickest of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of a eukaryotic cell; a straight, hollow tube made of globular proteins called tubulins. Microtubules form the basis of the structure and movement of cilia and flagella.