5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- central vacuole
- rough ER
- Reverse Transcriptase
- a An organelle containing enzymes that transfer hydrogen from various substrates to oxygen, producing and then degrading hydrogen peroxide.
- b A membrane-enclosed sac occupying most of the interior of a mature plant cell, having diverse roles in reproduction, growth, and development.
- c A digestive organelle in eukaryotic cells; contains hydrolytic enzymes that digest the cell's food and wastes.
- d A network of interconnected membranous sacs in a eukaryotic cell's cytoplasm. Rough ER membranes are studded with ribosomes that make membrane proteins and secretory proteins.
- e Makes RNA into DNA
5 Multiple choice questions
- An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.
- A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the surface architecture of a cell or other specimen.
- An open channel in a plant cell wall through which strands of cytoplasm connect from adjacent cells.
- A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the internal structure of thinly sectioned specimens.
- One of a number of disk-shaped membranous sacs inside a chloroplast. Thylakoid membranes contain chlorophyll and the enzymes of the light reactions of photosynthesis. A stack of thylakoids is called a granum.
5 True/False questions
microfilament → The thinnest of the three main kinds of protein fibers making up the cytoskeleton of a eukaryotic cell; a solid, helical rod composed of the globular protein actin.
crista → An infolding of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion in which is embedded the electron transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
nucleus → A structure within the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell where ribosomal RNA is made and assembled with proteins imported from the cytoplasm to make ribosomal subunits.
flagellum → A long cellular appendage specialized for locomotion. The flagella of prokaryotes and eukaryotes differ in both structure and function. Like cilia, eukaryotic flagella have a 9 + 2 arrangement of microtubules covered by the cell's plasma membrane.
endoplasmic reticulum (ER) → An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.