5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- mitochondrial matrix
- Golgi apparatus
- eukaryotic cell
- a The fluid contained within the inner membrane of a mitochondrion.
- b An organelle in eukaryotic cells consisting of stacks of membranous sacs that modify, store, and ship products of the endoplasmic reticulum.
- c A type of cell that has a membrane-enclosed nucleus and other membrane-enclosed organelles. All organisms except bacteria and archaea are composed of eukaryotic cells.
- d One of a number of disk-shaped membranous sacs inside a chloroplast. Thylakoid membranes contain chlorophyll and the enzymes of the light reactions of photosynthesis. A stack of thylakoids is called a granum.
- e A cell structure consisting of RNA and protein organized into two subunits and functioning as the site of protein synthesis in the cytoplasm. The ribosomal subunits are constructed in the nucleolus.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A macromolecule consisting of one or more polypeptides linked to short chains of sugars.
- An extensive membranous network in a eukaryotic cell, continuous with the outer nuclear membrane and composed of ribosome-studded (rough) and ribosome-free (smooth) regions.
- A membrane-enclosed structure with a specialized function within a cell.
- The chemical activities of cells.
- A process by which the mitochondria and chloroplasts of eukaryotic cells probably evolved from symbiotic associations between small prokaryotic cells living inside larger cells.
5 True/False questions
lysosome → A cell structure consisting of RNA and protein organized into two subunits and functioning as the site of protein synthesis in the cytoplasm. The ribosomal subunits are constructed in the nucleolus.
nucleoid → (1) An atom's central core, containing protons and neutrons. (2) The genetic control center of a eukaryotic cell.
plasma membrane → An open channel in a plant cell wall through which strands of cytoplasm connect from adjacent cells.
chromosome → A threadlike, gene-carrying structure found in the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell and most visible during mitosis and meiosis; also, the main gene-carrying structure of a prokaryotic cell. Chromosomes consist of chromatin, a combination of DNA and protein.
stroma → The fluid of the chloroplast surrounding the thylakoid membrane; involved in the synthesis of organic molecules from carbon dioxide and water; Sugars are made in the stroma by the enzymes of the Calvin cycle.