5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- nuclear envelope
- a A long cellular appendage specialized for locomotion. The flagella of prokaryotes and eukaryotes differ in both structure and function. Like cilia, eukaryotic flagella have a 9 + 2 arrangement of microtubules covered by the cell's plasma membrane.
- b A dense region of DNA in a prokaryotic cell.
- c An open channel in a plant cell wall through which strands of cytoplasm connect from adjacent cells.
- d (1) An atom's central core, containing protons and neutrons. (2) The genetic control center of a eukaryotic cell.
- e A double membrane, perforated with pores, which encloses the nucleus and separates it from the rest of the eukaryotic cell.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the internal structure of thinly sectioned specimens.
- A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the surface architecture of a cell or other specimen.
- An infolding of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion in which is embedded the electron transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
- A type of cell that has a membrane-enclosed nucleus and other membrane-enclosed organelles. All organisms except bacteria and archaea are composed of eukaryotic cells.
- A macromolecule consisting of one or more polypeptides linked to short chains of sugars.
5 True/False questions
extracellular matrix (ECM) → A substance in which the cells of an animal tissue are embedded; consists of protein and polysaccharides.
endomembrane system → A process by which the mitochondria and chloroplasts of eukaryotic cells probably evolved from symbiotic associations between small prokaryotic cells living inside larger cells.
electron microscope (EM) → An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.
endoplasmic reticulum (ER) → An instrument that focuses an electron beam through, or onto the surface of, a specimen. An electron microscope achieves a hundredfold greater resolution than a light microscope.
centriole → A structure in an animal cell composed of cylinders of microtubule triplets arranged in a 9 and 0 pattern. An animal usually has a centrosome with a pair of centrioles involved in cell division.