5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- rough ER
- a An organelle in eukaryotic cells where cellular respiration occurs. Enclosed by two concentric membranes, it is where most of the cell's ATP is made.
- b A sac made of membrane in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell.
- c A network of interconnected membranous sacs in a eukaryotic cell's cytoplasm. Rough ER membranes are studded with ribosomes that make membrane proteins and secretory proteins.
- d An organelle found in plants and photosynthetic protists that absorbs sunlight and uses it to drive the synthesis of organic molecules (sugars) from carbon dioxide and water.
- e A digestive organelle in eukaryotic cells; contains hydrolytic enzymes that digest the cell's food and wastes.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The chemical activities of cells.
- A photograph taken through a microscope.
- A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the internal structure of thinly sectioned specimens.
- A process by which the mitochondria and chloroplasts of eukaryotic cells probably evolved from symbiotic associations between small prokaryotic cells living inside larger cells.
- A tiny membranous sac in a cell's cytoplasm carrying molecules produced by the cell. The vesicle buds from the endoplasmic reticulum or Golgi and eventually fuses with another membranous organelle or the plasma membrane, releasing its contents.
5 True/False questions
crista → The fluid of the chloroplast surrounding the thylakoid membrane; involved in the synthesis of organic molecules from carbon dioxide and water; Sugars are made in the stroma by the enzymes of the Calvin cycle.
cytoskeleton → Everything inside a cell between the plasma membrane and the nucleus; consists of a semifluid medium and organelles.
nuclear envelope → A double membrane, perforated with pores, which encloses the nucleus and separates it from the rest of the eukaryotic cell.
endomembrane system → A process by which the mitochondria and chloroplasts of eukaryotic cells probably evolved from symbiotic associations between small prokaryotic cells living inside larger cells.
scanning electron microscope (SEM) → A microscope that uses an electron beam to study the surface architecture of a cell or other specimen.