5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Golgi apparatus
- extracellular matrix (ECM)
- a The thickest of the three main kinds of fibers making up the cytoskeleton of a eukaryotic cell; a straight, hollow tube made of globular proteins called tubulins. Microtubules form the basis of the structure and movement of cilia and flagella.
- b An organelle in eukaryotic cells consisting of stacks of membranous sacs that modify, store, and ship products of the endoplasmic reticulum.
- c A long cellular appendage specialized for locomotion. The flagella of prokaryotes and eukaryotes differ in both structure and function. Like cilia, eukaryotic flagella have a 9 + 2 arrangement of microtubules covered by the cell's plasma membrane.
- d An infolding of the inner membrane of a mitochondrion in which is embedded the electron transport chain and the enzyme catalyzing the synthesis of ATP.
- e A substance in which the cells of an animal tissue are embedded; consists of protein and polysaccharides.
5 Multiple choice questions
- One of a number of disk-shaped membranous sacs inside a chloroplast. Thylakoid membranes contain chlorophyll and the enzymes of the light reactions of photosynthesis. A stack of thylakoids is called a granum.
- An optical instrument with lenses that refract (bend) visible light to magnify images and project them into a viewer's eye or onto photographic film.
- An organelle containing enzymes that transfer hydrogen from various substrates to oxygen, producing and then degrading hydrogen peroxide.
- The fluid contained within the inner membrane of a mitochondrion.
- A double membrane, perforated with pores, which encloses the nucleus and separates it from the rest of the eukaryotic cell.
5 True/False questions
endosymbiosis → A process by which the mitochondria and chloroplasts of eukaryotic cells probably evolved from symbiotic associations between small prokaryotic cells living inside larger cells.
micrograph → A photograph taken through a microscope.
nucleoid → A structure within the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell where ribosomal RNA is made and assembled with proteins imported from the cytoplasm to make ribosomal subunits.
cellular metabolism → The chemical activities of cells.
plasma membrane → A digestive organelle in eukaryotic cells; contains hydrolytic enzymes that digest the cell's food and wastes.