Create an account
Why is the Declaration of Independence an important document?
The Declaration of Independence gave reasons for independence and ideas for self-government.
What year was the Declaration of Independence written?
Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence in July 4,1776.
The Declaration of Independence states that
-authority to govern belongs to the people rather than to kings
-all people are created equal
-all have rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Varied roles of Virginians in the Revolutionary War era
• PATRIOTS - Virginia patriots served in the Continental Army and fought against the English, leading to the English surrender at Yorktown.
• NEUTRAL- Some Virginians were neutral and did not take sides.
• LOYAL- Other Virginians remained loyal to England.
• DIVIDED- African Americans from Virginia were divided about the war. Some slaves fought for the English because they were promised freedom.
He was the first President provided military leadership by serving as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army.
He provided political leadership by expressing the reasons for colonial independence from England in the Declaration of Independence.
He inspired patriots from other colonies when he spoke out against taxation without representation by saying, "...give me liberty or give me death."
What was the importance of the American victory at Yorktown?
• The last major battle of the Revolutionary War was fought at Yorktown, Virginia.
• The American victory at Yorktown resulted in the surrender of the English army, bringing an end to the war.
How did the colonists' ideas about government differ from those of the English Parliament?
• Parliament believed it had legal authority in the colonies.
• Parliament believed it had the right to tax the colonies
• Colonists believed their local assemblies had legal authority.
• Colonists believed they should not be taxed since they had no representation in Parliament.
He rode on horseback through the backwoods of Virginia to Charlottesville to warn Thomas Jefferson, then governor of Virginia, that the British were coming to arrest him and mem- bers of the General Assembly.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together