Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
BIO 102 Exam #2 Lecture 8
Terms in this set (11)
describe a bacterial genome
a bacterial has a single haploid genome in a prokaryotic cell.
describe the genome of a eukaryotic cell
Eukaryotic cells have diploid and polyploid genomes.
only about 2% of our genome codes for proteins, What does the other 98% do?
-transcribed to functional RNA
what is the source of genetic variation from asexual organism?
the only variation stems from DNA replication mutation
what are the sources of genetic variation for sexually producing organism?
-DNA replication mutation
-mutations in gamete formation
what is one hypothesis that explains the selective pressure that led to the evolution of sexual reproduction
The Red Queen Hypothesis
how many cell division are there in meiosis?
two cell division
what does the first cellular division seperate
what does the second cellular division seperate
the second cellular division seperate sister chromatids
in terms of meiotic division, when does crossing over occur?
in meiotic division, crossing over occurs when homologous Xsomes exchange segments of DNA which creates new combinations of alleles on individual Xsomes
describe what is meant by "independent assortment"
by the end of meisosis, each homologous chromosomes and the genes they carry have been sorted for shipment into different gametes independently of how other pairs were sorted
Recommended textbook explanations
Lisa A. Urry, Michael L. Cain, Peter V Minorsky, Steven A. Wasserman
Jung Choi, Mary Clark, Matthew Douglas
Sets found in the same folder
BIO 102 Exam #2 Lecture 7
BIO Exam #2 Lecture 9
BIO 102 Exam #2 Lecture 10
Bio Exam #2 Lecture 11
Sets with similar terms
Unit 5 T&E
Anatomy and Physiology Chapter 4 (lecture)
Genetics Ch. 2
Other sets by this creator
SUS 120 F Food and Farming
SUS 120 D Assets for Sustainability
SUS 120 C Systems
SUS 120 A
Other Quizlet sets
SPAN 201 Final Interview Practice
Anatomy ch's 4-6 quiz/study guide