Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (14)
The theory about how lithospheric plates move about the earth.
- composed of crust (continental and oceanic) and the outermost mantle.
- underwater volcanic mountain range
- longest mountain range on earth
In the time of Alfred Wegener, what evidence existed for continental drift?
- continents fit together like a puzzle
- evidence of past climate change (climate regions where they didn't belong)
- fossils of creatures that couldn't cross the sea on different sides
What was the post WWII evidence of continental drift?
- sonar was invented (sound waves bounce off sea floor, creating a map of the ocean floor)
- magnetic mapping of the sea floor
How is the magnetism of the oceanic crust evidence of plate tectonics?
- the magnetic anomalies are mirror images on either side of the MOR, meaning that all of these rocks were created at the ridge.
- the magma/lava show direction of the field that existed when they were created when they are cooled
Explain the life cycle of the oceanic lithosphere.
1. new lithosphere is created at the MOR
2. lithosphere moves away from the MOR and becomes older/colder/more dense.
3. lithosphere becomes so cold/dense that it no longer floats on the asthenosphere (sinks into the mantle).
The primary force that drives plate tectonics.
How do we know where active plate boundaries are located?
- active volcanoes
- earthquake hot-spots
- GPS, measures motion (continents move 5-10 cm/yr.)
two plates move apart
ex. mid-ocean ridge (oceanic/oceanic)
ex. rift valley (continental/continental)
two plates collide
- trench is formed at subduction zones
ex. continental/oceanic come together
ex. oceanic/oceanic come together
two plates move side by side
- offset MOR's
- prominent under water
- lithosphere neither created/destroyed
Mechanical Layers of the Earth (From Inner to Outer)
- inner core
- outer core
Compositional Layers of the Earth (From Inner to Outer)
- Oceanic Crust
- Continental Crust
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Stress and Strain
Faults & Earthquakes
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 8 and 9 - Plate Tectonics Study…
Science Questions for test 4/2/15
Earth Science Review
Earth Science Final Review 2 - Plate Tectonics
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
National Standards in Music Education