1. Sheer biomass - they're everywhere, all the time! For each individual human on the planet, there are more than 200 million insects!
2. Insects make up 80+ percent of life on earth
3. Insect provide integral life support for the whole biosphere (e.g. pollination, food for insectivores, decomposers)
4. Insects are deeply entwined in a number of important disease systems of primary importance in human health, including malaria, Dengue fever, African sleeping sickness, Lyme disease, and many more!
5. Insects play critical roles in human economics, such as our agricultural systems (pollination, crop pests, etc.)