5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Active Solar Energy Systems
- Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC)
- Acid Precipitation
- Greenhouse Effect
- a Anticipated increase in Earth's temperature caused by carbon dioxide (emitted by burning fossil fuels) trapping some of the radiation emitted by the surface.
- b Conversion of sulfur oxides and nitrogen oxides to acids that return to Earth as rain, sown , or fog.
- c A gas used as a solvent, a propellant in aerosols, a refrigerant, and in plastic foams and fire extinguishers
- d The splitting of an atomic nucleus to release energy
- e Solar energy systems that collect energy through the use of physical devices like photovoltaic cells or flat-plate collectors
5 Multiple choice questions
- Solar energy systems that collect energy without the use of mechanical devices
- Addition of more waste than a resource can accommodate
- A place to deposit solid waste, where a layer of earth is bulldozed over garbage each day to reduce emissions of gases and odors from the decaying trash, to minimize fires, and to discourage vermin
- A source of energy that is a finite supply capable of being exhausted.
- Sulfur oxides and nitrogen, emitted by burning fossil fuels, enter the atmosphere - where they combine with oxygen and water to form sulfuric acid and nitric acid - and return to Earth's surface
5 True/False questions
Resource → A substance in the environment that is useful to people, is economically and technologically feasible to access and is socially acceptable to use.
Breeder reactor → A nuclear power plant that creates its own fuel from plutonium
Potential Reserve → The amount of a resource in deposits not yet identified but thought to exist
Biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) → An atmospheric condition formed through a combination of weather conditions and pollution, especially from motor vehicle emissions
Inanimate Power → Power supplied by machines