5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Can cosmetic companies claim their products will physiologically improve skin?
- What are the benefits of AHA?
- What are some of the brand names of retinol?
- What is a Blackhead?
- What are anti-inflamatories?
- a Cosmetic companies cannot lay claim to their products having any "Biological Activity" because they would need to be classified as "drugs" by the FDA and be subject to clinical trials.
- b Blackheads (also called Comedones) are an accumulation of sebum, keratin, skin debris and bacteria within a hair follicle. Follicles in the skin become blocked with sebum, causing the follicle to widen, and collect dead skin cells and bacteria. Blackheads, in contrast to Whiteheads, are open to the air, causing the oils to oxidize, turning them brown (similar process to an apple browning with exposure to oxygen). [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedo]
- c Ingredients which soothe the skin and reduce inflammation.
- d Renova, Avage, Retin-A
- e AHA exfoliates by loosening the bonds between dead corneum cells by dissolving the intercellular cement (lipids) holding them together. AHA's also improve moisture content. AHA's are preferred for sun damaged and dry skin because they exfoliate on the surface of the skin. [http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/anti-aging/_/exfoliate-for-bright-smooth-and-radiant-skin#works]
5 Multiple choice questions
- Materials such as oils and waxes which cannot be penetrated by water. Occlusives are spread onto skin to form a film which shields it to slow and prevent moisture from evaporating. [http://www.californiabodycare.com/glossary/225_occlusive.html]
- Damaged skin (typically damaged by the sun) cannot produce many of the ingredients needed to maintain skin's youthful appearance, and so the goal of skin care products is to replace and replenish those ingredients to restore youthful skin.
- A Pedicure. Scrubbing off the dead skin cells on the heel of the foot, results in the exposure of softer, smoother skin underneath. The heel looks brand new, practically baby smooth. The wrinkles are gone. The skin looks baby new. [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
- Elastin is an elastic protein in connective tissue that allows many tissues in the body to resume their shape after stretching or contracting
5 True/False questions
What is a humectant? → A substance that absorbs moisture [from Latin "umectare" = to moisen]
What is Petrolatum? → Melasma, also known as the "mask of pregnancy", consists of light or dark, brown or grey patches, ranging from the size of a dime, to large areas on the face and chest. It appears in sun exposed area, and more often in women during pregnancy or during estrogen replacement therapy.
What are milia? → Exfoliants are products which help to remove the surface layer of skin, which is comprised of dead skin cells.
What are some natural anti-inflammatory ingredients? → retinol, retinaldehyde, retinoic acid, epigallocatechin-3-gallate, eicosapentaenoic acid, niacinamide, lecithin, linolenic acid, linolenic acid, phospholipids, carnitine, carnosine, adenosine triphosphate, adenosine cyclic phosphate, palmitoyl oligopeptide, palmitoyl tripeptide-3 (and most other peptides), and pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract [http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/cell-communicating-ingredients]
What is a Cell-Communicating Ingredient? → Theoretically, they are ingredients that have the ability to induce a skin cell to look, act, and behave better, more like a normal healthy skin cell, or concurrently blocking substances which persuade skin cells to behave in a destructive manner [http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/cell-communicating-ingredients]