5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What other beautification practice is analagous to Exfoliation?
- What is an Emulsifier [from L. "emulgere" = to milk out, from "ex" = out and "mulgere" = to milk]?
- What is the Stratum Corneum [from L. "stratum" = layer, "cornus" = horn] ?
- How was retinol discovered?
- And to conclude finally : Are wrinkles a natural part of ageing?
- a A Pedicure. Scrubbing off the dead skin cells on the heel of the foot, results in the exposure of softer, smoother skin underneath. The heel looks brand new, practically baby smooth. The wrinkles are gone. The skin looks baby new. [Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
- b It was discovered in 1978 by scientists who were researching treatments for Acne.
- c A surfactant that makes it possible for oil and water to mix (typically they don't) and form an emulsion [a colloid (mixture / suspension) where both phases are liquids].
- d To quote Dr. Leslie Baumann from The Skin Type Solution page 352, "Skin that NEVER SEES THE SUN does not wrinkle, so with the right behaviors wrinkles can be avoided...."
- e The horny outer layer of the Epidermis, consisting of several layers of flat, keratinized (replete with the protein keratin thus becoming horn-like in texture), nonnucleated, dead or peeling cells. [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stratum+corneum?s=t]
5 Multiple choice questions
- Generally speaking, BHA is a stronger exfoliant than AHA. It can exfoliate more vigorously, but presents greater risk of burning and damaging the skin. BHA can penetrate into the pores of the skin and exfoliate dead skin cells from inside the pores, which AHA cannot.
- Renova, Avage, Retin-A
- Between 26 to 42 days. [Skin Type Solution, 18]
- Antioxidants are ingredients which help to counteract Free Radicals (which damage cells through disruption of atomic structure). They can also be said to inhibit oxidation. They thus help the condition of the skin, and in food applications keep foods from becoming rancid and spoiled.
- A water soluble vitamin made from Niacin. Niacinamide and Soy help forestall the transfer of pigment from Melanocytes to skin cells, helping prevent formation of brown spots. [Skin Type Solution, 26]
5 True/False questions
Are tanning beds safe or beneficial to the skin? → Glycerin acts as a humectant and an emollient to soften and smoothe skin
What is keratin? → Elastin is an elastic protein in connective tissue that allows many tissues in the body to resume their shape after stretching or contracting
Is a Tan the body's way of trying to "look good"? → A Tan is a sign the skin has been DAMAGED. A Tan is a sign the skin has been trying to defend itself from the destructive effects of the sun's UV Radiation. A Tan is NOT the body's way of trying to "look good".
What is UVB? → UVB (Ultraviolet BURNING) Radiation is short wave radiation responsible for creating a Sun Burn, and limits damage to the top layer of the skin (epidermis)
What is Natural Moisturizing Factor? → A substance which softens the skin [from Latin. "ex" = out and "mollire" = soften]