5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are anti-inflamatories?
- How long does it take to acquire the recommended daily intake of Vitamin D from the sun?
- REFERENCES used. (partial list of references used)
- What is the different between Physical and Chemical sunscreens?
- What are some of the brand names of retinol?
- a Exposing just an arm to the sun at noon during the summer for 20 minutes will provide the body with approximately 10,000 IU of Vitamin D.
- b Tinosorb S and M [http://blog.pharmacymix.com/why-tinosorb-m-and-tinosorb-s-are-effective]
- c Renova, Avage, Retin-A
- d Physical sunscreens REFLECT sunlight. Chemical sunscreens ABSORB UV light.
- e Ingredients which soothe the skin and reduce inflammation.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Over scrubbing the skin, hot water, irritating skin-care ingredients (ALCOHOL, which is irritating for everyone, menthol, lime, eucalyptus, fragrances, essential oils : all of which are more of a concern for people with sensitive skin)
- Genistein is a polyphenol found in soybeans and other plants that mimics the action of Estrogen in the body, helping to reduce the production of wrinkles; however, like Estrogen, it also promotes increased pigmentation of the skin.
- It was discovered in 1978 by scientists who were researching treatments for Acne.
- When the skin is exposed to UV radiation, Melanocytes (Melanin producing cells in the skin) produce increased amounts of the skin pigment Melanin as a mechanism of defense to help arrest radiation damage to the skin's cellular structures and DNA.
- A fibrous protein that occurs in the outer layer of skin and in horny tissues such as hair, feathers, nails and hooves.
5 True/False questions
What is Dimethicone? → A thickened secretion plugging a duct of the skin, especially of a sebaceous gland [from L. "com" = with, "edere" = eating ; literally = glutton] [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/COMEDONES]
What are ephelides? → Ceramides (Cera = wax) are lipids which form part of the skin barrier.
Does a "Broad Spectrum UVA / UVB" sunscreen guarantee total UV protection? → No. Hydroquinone should only be used for a maximum of several weeks, and should never be used by women during pregnancy. However, it is recognized as the most effective treatment for addressing unwanted dark spots. [Skin Type Solution]
What are antioxidants? → Antioxidants are ingredients which help to counteract Free Radicals (which damage cells through disruption of atomic structure). They can also be said to inhibit oxidation. They thus help the condition of the skin, and in food applications keep foods from becoming rancid and spoiled.
What is the Stratum Corneum [from L. "stratum" = layer, "cornus" = horn] ? → The horny outer layer of the Epidermis, consisting of several layers of flat, keratinized (replete with the protein keratin thus becoming horn-like in texture), nonnucleated, dead or peeling cells. [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stratum+corneum?s=t]