5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are some natural anti-inflammatory ingredients?
- What did Cleopatra purportedly use on her skin to maintain its radiance and uniformity of tone?
- How long does the Cell Cycle take?
- What is a Whitehead?
- What are Antioxidants?
- a Identical to a Blackhead, with the exception that a small amount of skin has grown over the follicle, resulting in the bump appearing white. [http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-comedone.htm]
- b ...
- c Between 26 to 42 days. [Skin Type Solution, 18]
- d Oatmeal, Feverfew,Licochalone, Green Tea, Chamomile, Cucumber extract, Calendula, Grapeseed Extract
- e Sour milk. Sour milk contains Lactic Acid, which is an example of an AHA and thus a natural exfoliant for the skin. This was likely very helpful to Cleopatra for exfoliating off brown spots and other sun damage resulting from the desert climate of Egypt.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A substance which softens the skin [from Latin. "ex" = out and "mollire" = soften]
- The major concern is the presence of PAH's (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons) in unrefined petrolatum. Consumers should look for USP grade Petrolatum (BP in Britain and Ph.Eur in Europe) indicating the petrolatum meets specific purity standards, and buy trusted brands, like Vaseline.
- Glycerin acts as a humectant and an emollient to soften and smoothe skin
- retinol, retinaldehyde, retinoic acid, epigallocatechin-3-gallate, eicosapentaenoic acid, niacinamide, lecithin, linolenic acid, linolenic acid, phospholipids, carnitine, carnosine, adenosine triphosphate, adenosine cyclic phosphate, palmitoyl oligopeptide, palmitoyl tripeptide-3 (and most other peptides), and pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract [http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/cell-communicating-ingredients]
5 True/False questions
What are the 2 methods of preventing unwanted skin pigment formation? → The first is to inhibit the enzyme tyrosinase (enzyme responsible for the formation of melanin), preventing the formation of melanin. The second is to stop the transfer of color into the skin cells. [Skin Type Solution]
What is the different between Physical and Chemical sunscreens? → Generally speaking, BHA is a stronger exfoliant than AHA. It can exfoliate more vigorously, but presents greater risk of burning and damaging the skin. BHA can penetrate into the pores of the skin and exfoliate dead skin cells from inside the pores, which AHA cannot.
What is Erythema? → It is derived from Vitamin A but has a different chemical structure.
What is melasma? → A fibrous protein that occurs in the outer layer of skin and in horny tissues such as hair, feathers, nails and hooves.
What effect does Alcohol have on skin? → Causes Free Radical Damage.