5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are Free Radicals?
- What are some examples of Occlusives?
- What are some examples of ingredients which forestall the transfer of color into skin cells?
- What is the goal of skin care for damaged skin?
- a When the skin is exposed to UV radiation, Melanocytes (Melanin producing cells in the skin) produce increased amounts of the skin pigment Melanin as a mechanism of defense to help arrest radiation damage to the skin's cellular structures and DNA.
- b Classic examples are petrolatum and lanolin. For sensitive skin, dimethicone and shea butter.
- c Oxygen atoms or molecules with unpaired electrons that cause oxidation by stealing an electron from another molecule, damaging the molecules structure, and subsequently, the larger structure of which the molecule is a part (i.e. skin cell)
- d Damaged skin (typically damaged by the sun) cannot produce many of the ingredients needed to maintain skin's youthful appearance, and so the goal of skin care products is to replace and replenish those ingredients to restore youthful skin.
- e Niacinamide and Soy
5 Multiple choice questions
- There is no one particular skin-care ingredient which is more valuable than the rest. "Skin is complicated. Skin requires a cocktail of ingredients." [Paula Begoun, Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
- UVB (Ultraviolet BURNING) Radiation is short wave radiation responsible for creating a Sun Burn, and limits damage to the top layer of the skin (epidermis)
- No. Hydroquinone should only be used for a maximum of several weeks, and should never be used by women during pregnancy. However, it is recognized as the most effective treatment for addressing unwanted dark spots. [Skin Type Solution]
- Glycerin acts as a humectant and an emollient to soften and smoothe skin
5 True/False questions
What is melasma? → A chronic skin disease which affects adults (more often women) in which blood vessels of the face swell resulting in a flushed appearance. [WordWeb software] Ruddiness, redness of the cheeks, chin, and forehead are common symptoms. Flares up in intervals. [http://beauty.about.com/od/beautybyageteensto50/a/rosacea.htm[
What are some natural anti-inflammatory ingredients? → Oatmeal, Feverfew,Licochalone, Green Tea, Chamomile, Cucumber extract, Calendula, Grapeseed Extract
What are the benefits of Vitamin C in skin care? → Vitamin C promotes Collage Synthesis and is an antioxidant.
What is Glycerin? → A syrupy fatty alcohol formed by the saponification (the process of combining a fat and an oil to make soap through application of heat) of a fat and an oil. It is an excellent skin softener and humectant, and a very strong water binder. [Quizlet : Chapter 13 Skin Care Products by trujiloolga]
What is a White Head? → Identical to a Blackhead, with the exception that a small amount of skin has grown over the follicle, resulting in the bump appearing white. [http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-comedone.htm]