5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are Antioxidants?
- What is a good analogy for exfoliation?
- REFERENCES used. (partial list of references used)
- What are some examples of Occlusives?
- Does a "Broad Spectrum UVA / UVB" sunscreen guarantee total UV protection?
- a A Pedicure. In a pedicure, dead skin cells are sanded off the heel of the foot using an emery board. After a pedicure the heel is smooth as a baby's bottom. Exfoliation accomplishes a similar function.
- b Tinosorb S and M [http://blog.pharmacymix.com/why-tinosorb-m-and-tinosorb-s-are-effective]
- c ...
- d No. The statement is vague and does not clearly specify if both Long-Wave and Short-Wave UVA radiation is blocked. The informed consumer will LOOK at the ingredients.
- e Classic examples are petrolatum and lanolin. For sensitive skin, dimethicone and shea butter.
5 Multiple choice questions
- There is no one particular skin-care ingredient which is more valuable than the rest. "Skin is complicated. Skin requires a cocktail of ingredients." [Paula Begoun, Cosmetic Cop Podcast, July 18th, 2012]
- Exfoliants are products which help to remove the surface layer of skin, which is comprised of dead skin cells.
- wax esters, trigylcerides, squalene
- Another term for freckles. They are typically associated with red hair and fair skin. The MC1R gene is believed to be the gene responsible for freckles and it is closely associated with red hair and fair skin.
- Oxygen atoms or molecules with unpaired electrons that cause oxidation by stealing an electron from another molecule, damaging the molecules structure, and subsequently, the larger structure of which the molecule is a part (i.e. skin cell)
5 True/False questions
What are some recommended Sunscreen brands which provide superior UVA / UVB protection? → Cliniderm Protective Lotion SPF 45 : Titanium Dioxide USP 6.6%, Zinc Oxide USP 6.1% (does NOT whiten skin!) , Blue Lizard Sensitive SPF 30+ : Titanium Dioxide 5%, Zinc Oxide 10% (bottle changes color when exposed to UV light!), Ombrelle Face SPF 60 : Octocrylene 10%, Titanium Dioxide 4.15%, Avobenzone 3.5%, Mexoryl XL 3%, Mexoryl SX 3% [DOES whiten skin some], Eco Sunscreen Face SPF 30+ : Zinc Oxice 20% [NOT tested on animals! does whiten skin though]
What is retinol used to treat? → It is derived from Vitamin A but has a different chemical structure.
What are the benefits of BHA? → BHA is preferred for oily, acne-prone skin and for treating blackheads and white bumps because it can penetrate the oil clogging pores, normalizing the lining of the misshapen pore contributing to acne. BHA has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial action, as a result, BHA is preferred for those struggling with Rosacea. [http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/anti-aging/_/exfoliate-for-bright-smooth-and-radiant-skin#works]
What are some antioxidants often used in skin care products? → Vitamin C promotes Collage Synthesis and is an antioxidant.
What are some examples of tyrosinase (enzyme responsible for formation of melanin) inhibitors? → Hydroquinone, Arbutin, Licorice Extract, Kojic Acid