5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Is a Tan the body's way of trying to "look good"?
- How long does the Cell Cycle take?
- What are ephelides?
- What is a White Head?
- What is Natural Moisturizing Factor?
- a Between 26 to 42 days. [Skin Type Solution, 18]
- b A mixture of molecules (amino acids and salts) within the cells comprising the outermost layer of the skin. The molecules are hygroscopic [Greek. "hygro" = wet, "skopion" = to look at], attracting and absorbing water, thus hydrating the skin. [www.clinuvel.com]
- c A Tan is a sign the skin has been DAMAGED. A Tan is a sign the skin has been trying to defend itself from the destructive effects of the sun's UV Radiation. A Tan is NOT the body's way of trying to "look good".
- d Another term for freckles. They are typically associated with red hair and fair skin. The MC1R gene is believed to be the gene responsible for freckles and it is closely associated with red hair and fair skin.
- e ...
5 Multiple choice questions
- Ingredients which soothe the skin and reduce inflammation.
- Between 10 am and 4pm
- 2 physical blockers : Titanium Dioxide (UVB & short wave UVA) and Zinc Oxide (UVB & short + long wave UVA). 5 chemical blockers : Avobenzone / Parsol 1789 (only protects against long wave UVA radiation. requires Octocrylene be present in a 2:1 ratio to remain photostable under sun exposure), Mexoryl SX (short wave UVA protection), Mexoryl XL (long wave UVA protection),
Tinosorb S (prevents photodegradation of other ingredients), Tinosorb M (triple-action protection : absorb, reflect, scatter UV light)
- retinol, retinaldehyde, retinoic acid, epigallocatechin-3-gallate, eicosapentaenoic acid, niacinamide, lecithin, linolenic acid, linolenic acid, phospholipids, carnitine, carnosine, adenosine triphosphate, adenosine cyclic phosphate, palmitoyl oligopeptide, palmitoyl tripeptide-3 (and most other peptides), and pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract [http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/cell-communicating-ingredients]
- An alcohol obtained by saponification of fats and oils
5 True/False questions
What are some recommended Sunscreen brands which provide superior UVA / UVB protection? → Renova, Avage, Retin-A
What is retinol? → It is derived from Vitamin A but has a different chemical structure.
What does USP stand for and why is it important? → USP = United States Pharmaceutical. The USP was founded in 1820 to combat inconsistent drug quality and protect the public health; to create a system of standards to help ensure medication quality and uniformity in the United States. Official USP standards are legally enforceable by the U.S. Food Drug and Administration (FDA) for drugs imported to or marketed in the United States. USP establishes both written standards and physical USP Reference Standards. [http://www.usp.org/usp-manufacturers/pharmaceuticals]
SKIN CONDITIONS → A silicone oil which forms a slick, lubricating coat on a surface. Can be used in hair products to create a surface with less friction for easier combing, or as a protectant, emollient, and occlusive for skin care products.
And to conclude finally : Are wrinkles a natural part of ageing? → To quote Dr. Leslie Baumann from The Skin Type Solution page 352, "Skin that NEVER SEES THE SUN does not wrinkle, so with the right behaviors wrinkles can be avoided...."