5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Viruses are considered detached fragments of prokaryotic genomes
- 2.5 billion years old
- a Which one of the following statements about viruses is false?
- b The oldest fossils of eukaryotes have been estimated to be
- c The biological name of an organism in the binomial system contains two parts, the genus and the
- d Molecular data indicates that land plants belong in the same ________ as green algae.
- e The oldest microfossils are of
5 Multiple choice questions
- Which one of the following statements about the classification of arthropods and crustaceans is false?
- One of the theories about the origin of life is panspermia. Panspermia proposes that
- One day while Dr. Rogers was working in his taxonomic laboratory, a package arrived with the following label: "Beware, the contents of this package contains a eukaryotic, multicellular, nonmotile, nonphotosynthetic life form. Open with extreme caution." Dr. Rogers quickly closed the doors and windows of his laboratory and opened the package. To which kingdom of life could this life form belong?
- The group that probably gave rise to chloroplasts is the
- Which one of the following statements about origin of land plants is false?
5 True/False questions
chordates → Segmentation is thought to have evolved three times, twice in protostomes and once in deuterstomes as seen in the
A. sexual reproduction.
D. horizontal gene transfer (HGT).
F. all of the above → Diversity among the vast numbers of organisms that have arisen on Earth can be attributed to ____.
Segmentation is an ancestral trait for the protostomes → Annelids and arthropods were thought to be closely related in one sense because of the character of segmentation. Molecular data has recently shown that
absence of nuclear envelope → Although the Archaebacteria were classified in the same group with the Bacteria, they are probably more closely related to the Eukarya. Which one of the following features do they share in common with the bacteria?
hierarchical → In that any one group fits within a more inclusive group, the biological classification systems are