Kaboom Video Notes
Terms in this set (14)
What components make up a simple explosive?
1. Means of ignition
3. Fuel source
In Sidney's alford's simple explosion, what did he use to substitute for the components that make up a simple explosive?
1. Ignition = Candle
3. Fuel Source = Flour
Who invented the CRUDE gunpowder and what were the 3 components of it?
- The more pure the saltpeter was, the more violent the explosion
What happens to the particles in fireworks?
The subatomic particles get more and more excited and light up
What 3 things make up MODERN gunpowder?
1. Saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate)
- You can purity saltpeter by concentrating and crystallizing it
What happens when you increase the saltpeter to charcoal ratio and confine it?
The more the mix was confined, the bigger the explosion due to the increased pressure and speed of burning
What is nitroglycerin (NGL)?
1. Fuel and oxygen combined into one molecule
2. Decomposes much more quickly
3. High explosive
4. More chemical energy = more violent
What is Nitrogen triiodide?
Very sensitive explosive that a fly landing on it will set it off
What is the difference between a high explosive as opposed to a low explosive?
1. High explosive: One that is actually detonating
2. Low explosive: One that is burning very rapidly, not detonating
Who is credited with inventing dynamite? What are its components?
1. Alfred Nobel invented Dynamite
2. Dynamite = Sorbent + Nitroglycerin + Stabilizer
3. Kieselguhr: A stable white clay that could absorb 4x its own weight in nitroglycerin
When Alfred Nobel had a cut on his finger, what did he try to do?
1. Tried to make an explosive out of "it" called blasting gelatin (gelignite)
2. It was as stable as dynamite, and strong as nitroglycerin
What is Semtex?
A type of explosive that can be molded into any shape, and can be handled very agressively
Who invented ballistite and what is it?
1. Alfred Nobel
2. Nitrocellulose + nitroglycerin
3. Smokeless powder which has way more penetration power
What happens in a chemical explosion as opposed to a nuclear explosion?
1. Chemical explosion = Gases and chemicals released from the bomb
2. Nuclear explosion = Pure energy is released, where the explosion is caused by vaporized things and it is the direct conversion of mass into energy (e=mc^2)
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration
Chapter 9 Study Set 2
Chem 100 Exam 1
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Psychology - Unit 3 Biological bases of behavior
Frederick Douglass Vocab