5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Lochner vs. New York
- Boxer Rebellion
- Pure Food and Drug Act
- a The movement in the late 1800s to increase democracy in America by curbing the power of the corporation. It fought to end corruption in government and business, and worked to bring equal rights of women and other groups that had been left behind during the industrial revolution.
- b a political theory that the people should own the means of production
- c Supreme Court ruled that states could not restrict ordinary workers' hours
- d the act that prohibited the manufacture, sale, or shipment of impure of falsely labeled food and drugs
- e A 1900 Uprising in China aimed at ending foreign influence in the country.
5 Multiple choice questions
- to use government as an agency of human welfare
- Ship that explodes off the coast of Cuba in Havana harbor and helps contribute to the start of the Spanish-American War
- This term applies to newspaper reporters and other writers who pointed out the social problems of the era of big business. The term was first given to them by Theodore Roosevelt.
- This 1906 work by Upton Sinclair pointed out the abuses of the meat packing industry. The book led to the passage of the 1906 Meat Inspection Act.
- The reclaiming of land and natural resources
5 True/False questions
Robert La Follette → Spanish Ambassador's letter that was illegally removed from the U.S. Mail and published by American newspapers. It criticized President McKinley in insulting terms.
Lincoln Steffens → Spanish Ambassador's letter that was illegally removed from the U.S. Mail and published by American newspapers. It criticized President McKinley in insulting terms.
Dollar Diplomacy → Term used to describe the efforts of the US to further its foreign policy through use of economic power by gaurenteeing loans to foreign countries
Recall → The reclaiming of land and natural resources
Spheres of Influence → areas in which countries have some political and economic control but do not govern directly