5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Fission products
- Exotic Species
- a The death of all individuals of a particular species. This results in loss of genes and biodiversity.
- b A stage in the ecological succession of a lake where nutrient rich water provides abundant growth of algae and or other aquatic plants. Called middle-aged lake.
- c The natural aging process of a lake that is greatly accelerated by human actions. also called cultural eutrophication, casued by additions of nutrients mainly nitrogen and phosphorus
- d Refers to the atoms, usually radioactive and the subatomic particles resulting from the splitting of atoms in a nuclear reactor.
- e A nonnative species introduced to an area. may experience exponential growth due to a lack of natural predators, and take over valuable native species
5 Multiple choice questions
- A species where the population is declining, and may be endanger of extinction without positive human intervention. Reasons are habitat destruction and pollution. organisms include specialists that need specific habitat needs.
- occurs when habitats are divided into a patch work of intact forest land and deforested lands.
- A blend of 90% gasoline and 10% alcohol, used to help extend gasoline supplies.
- Splitting of an atom into two atoms of lighter elements. This is basic of nuclear energy production
- Test for presence of the bacteria Escherichia coli, typically found in the gut of humans and other mammals. Used to determine the contamination of a body of water. The presence of fecal coliform is an indication that harmful bacteria are present.
5 True/False questions
First Law of Thermodynamics → Law of Conservation of Energy. States that energy is never created but only converted from one form to another.
Environmental Science → The branch of science that studies environmental issues.
Fossil fuels → Energy sources that come from millions of years of heat and pressure acting upon prehistoric photosynthetic organic matter. Ex. crude oil, coal, natural gas
Fire Climax ecosystems → Refers to the atoms, usually radioactive and the subatomic particles resulting from the splitting of atoms in a nuclear reactor.
Environmental Resistance → The branch of science that studies environmental issues.