5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Common name for Paragonimus westermani
- How to diagnose D. dendriticum? Treatment? Control?
- Geographic distribution of D. dendriticum - habitat?
- Paragonimus westermani - how many species known to infect humans? 2. Adult resides where? 3. Hosts - anything unusual?
- D. dendriticum has how many I.H.? What are they
- a 2. 1ST I.H. = Snail. 2nd = Ant
- b 1. 1 of 7 or more known species of Paragonimus that infect humans. 2. Adult resides in the lung 3. DH is many carnivorous animals. I.H is snail, then 2nd IH is freshwater crab and crayfish. Paratenic hosts possible if birds or small mammals eat crayfish or crabs
- c Europe, Asia - 45% of cattle in switzerland. Some in USA and Australia. Habitat is grasslands where herbivores graze.
- d lung fluke
- e Most are asymptomatic - look for eggs in feces. Treat with praziquantel, expensive, or benzimidazoles. Control is difficult because of crazy life cycle. - snails and ants hard to control. Have to keep tabs on your grazing times.
5 Multiple choice questions
- 1. distome 2. monoecious but prefers cross fertilization 3. Adults look like coffee beans and are unusually thick 4. Tegument covered in spines 5. reproductive system - ovaries left of midline, vitelline follicles at lateral ends.
- F. hepatica -except that there is no trauma to gut wall or liver parenchyma due to juvenile migration. You see a lot of biliary and liver damage -inflammation, fibrosis, hepatic degeneration, cirrhosis, bile duct distention/dysfunction
- 1. Eggs in feces 2. (Cionella lubrica in U.S snail eats egg) 3. Miracidium in snail intestine to digestive gland 4. mother sporocyst to daughter sporocyst 5. no redia - to cercaria (tailed). 6. Cercaria accumulate in mantle cavity and irritation causes mucous building and slime balls 7. (Formica fusca ant eats slime ball and ingest cercaria) 8. Cercaria penetrate ant gut and encysts as metacercaria inside ant hemocoel 8. One cercaria migrates to subesophageal ganglion and becomes brainworm and alters ant behavior. Remains at grass tip and eaten 9. Ruminent eats ant and metacercaria excyst in duodenum, juveniles migrates to bile duct. Adults in bile duct produce eggs.
- 1. Adults in DH live in lungs, pair up 2. Eggs in sputum or swallowed and passed in feces. 3. After at least 16 days in water miracidium hatches. 4. Thieridae snail is IH. 5. adult/egg/miracidium/sporocyst/redia/cercaria ( inside snail
- Asia, Africa, Central and South America. About 20 million people infected. Habitat is swift flowing streams and snail habitats.
5 True/False questions
Paragonimus westermani life cycle → Praziquantel.
D. dendriticum adults live in → bile duct
Does not require aquatic habitat to complete life cycle → D. dendriticum
Dicrocoelium dendriticum and Paragonimus westermani are 1. mono/di genean parasites? 2. mono/heteroxenous 3. hosts 4. size → Asia, Africa, Central and South America. About 20 million people infected. Habitat is swift flowing streams and snail habitats.
Why is D. dendriticum rare in humans → sheep, cattle, goats, pigs