5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Common name for Paragonimus westermani
- How to diagnose D. dendriticum? Treatment? Control?
- Treat P. westermani with
- Paragonimus kellicotti - similar to x, and is a form of x - where is it located?
- Geographic distribution of Paragonimus westermani
- a lung fluke
- b Praziquantel.
- c Asia, Africa, Central and South America. About 20 million people infected. Habitat is swift flowing streams and snail habitats.
- d similar to P. westermani, form of lung fluke. In US, fun research saying that they had alcohol and ate weird **** and got this parasite.
- e Most are asymptomatic - look for eggs in feces. Treat with praziquantel, expensive, or benzimidazoles. Control is difficult because of crazy life cycle. - snails and ants hard to control. Have to keep tabs on your grazing times.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Europe, Asia - 45% of cattle in switzerland. Some in USA and Australia. Habitat is grasslands where herbivores graze.
- 2. 1ST I.H. = Snail. 2nd = Ant
- Adult in lung, eggs in sputum or swallowed and in feces. 2. eggs hatch to miracidium 3. miracidium in snail to sporocyst to redia to cercaria 4. spined cercaria with knob tails are released to invade 2nd I.H like crab or crayfish. 5. they encyst as metacercaria and 2nd I.h eats them. 6. excyst in duodenum of 2nd IH. 7. Juvenile penetrate the intestine and embed in abdominal wall. 8. we eat the 2ND IH 9. Juvi's reenter coelom, penetrate coelom and migrate to our lungs. 10. They find a mate, and form cyst in lungs. 11. mature into adults
- 1. 1 of 7 or more known species of Paragonimus that infect humans. 2. Adult resides in the lung 3. DH is many carnivorous animals. I.H is snail, then 2nd IH is freshwater crab and crayfish. Paratenic hosts possible if birds or small mammals eat crayfish or crabs
- D. dendriticum
5 True/False questions
D.H for D. dendriticum are → sheep, cattle, goats, pigs
Why is D. dendriticum rare in humans → because we don't eat infected ants on grass.
D. dendriticum adults live in → sheep, cattle, goats, pigs
Life cycle of D. dendriticum (probs the only important thing to know about it) → 2. 1ST I.H. = Snail. 2nd = Ant
Common name for D. dendriticum - why? → Lancet fluke, pointed body