5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Pickling does not kill
- Paragonimus westermani - 1. acetabulum 2. sex 3. morphology 4. tegument 5. reproductive system
- Paragonimus kellicotti - similar to x, and is a form of x - where is it located?
- Paragonimus westermani life cycle
- John and his gf went out and had crab at a sketchy restaurant and now he is having breathing difficulties, what could he have?
- a P. westermani
- b Adult in lung, eggs in sputum or swallowed and in feces. 2. eggs hatch to miracidium 3. miracidium in snail to sporocyst to redia to cercaria 4. spined cercaria with knob tails are released to invade 2nd I.H like crab or crayfish. 5. they encyst as metacercaria and 2nd I.h eats them. 6. excyst in duodenum of 2nd IH. 7. Juvenile penetrate the intestine and embed in abdominal wall. 8. we eat the 2ND IH 9. Juvi's reenter coelom, penetrate coelom and migrate to our lungs. 10. They find a mate, and form cyst in lungs. 11. mature into adults
- c P. westermani.
- d 1. distome 2. monoecious but prefers cross fertilization 3. Adults look like coffee beans and are unusually thick 4. Tegument covered in spines 5. reproductive system - ovaries left of midline, vitelline follicles at lateral ends.
- e similar to P. westermani, form of lung fluke. In US, fun research saying that they had alcohol and ate weird **** and got this parasite.
5 Multiple choice questions
- finds eggs in sputum or feces, biopsy, ELISA, x ray or CT. Can often be mistaken for tuberculosis, pneumonia, spirochaetosis in lungs, or tumors, encephalitis, hydatids in brains.
- 1. distome 2. pointed ends 3. Testes are anterior to ovary. Prominent uterus, 4. Operculated egg 5. Vittelline glands occupy the middle third of the organism.
- 1. digenean 2. indirect life cycles - 2 I.H. 3. First I.H is a snail 4. D. dendriticum similar in length as P. westermani, but half the size.
- Asia, Africa, Central and South America. About 20 million people infected. Habitat is swift flowing streams and snail habitats.
- Europe, Asia - 45% of cattle in switzerland. Some in USA and Australia. Habitat is grasslands where herbivores graze.
5 True/False questions
D.H for D. dendriticum are → sheep, cattle, goats, pigs
Common name for D. dendriticum - why? → sheep, cattle, goats, pigs
Paragonimus westermani - how many species known to infect humans? 2. Adult resides where? 3. Hosts - anything unusual? → 1. Adults in DH live in lungs, pair up 2. Eggs in sputum or swallowed and passed in feces. 3. After at least 16 days in water miracidium hatches. 4. Thieridae snail is IH. 5. adult/egg/miracidium/sporocyst/redia/cercaria ( inside snail
D. dendriticum adults live in → bile duct
Pathology of D. dendriticum is similar to x except. Symptoms → because we don't eat infected ants on grass.