Salmon's "Determinism and Indeterminism in Modern Science"
Terms in this set (2)
- God, who created the world and holds it in his all-powerful control, foreordains exactly what is to happen.
- this view is is reinforced by the doctrine of God's omniscience
- if god knows with complete certainty and in precise detail what will occur in the future - including whether you will go to heaven or hell - the future is determined to be just exactly what God knows it to be.
- One has no power over one's future and can do nothing to change it
- Even one's own acts and apparently free decisions are predetermined by something outside of one's self, over which one has no influence
- The feeling of freedom that accompanies many of our decisions actions is a mere illusion
What is determinism?
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Important Stuff About Each Person
Fischer, "My Compatibilism"
Wolf's "Asymmetrical Freedom"