5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- strip mining
- dry farming
- a this caused the Potato famine in Ireland in the 1840's. It is a plant disease that destroyed the potato crop year after year.
- b miners strip away the surface of the earth to lay bare the mineral deposits.
- c a geologic phenomenon in which the ground in an area sinks. This happened in Venice
- d not taking sides in conflict. Switzerland is an example of this and since that time of them deciding not to take any sides in conflict, no other European country has invaded its borders.
- e methods that leave land unplanted every few years in order to gather moisture
5 Multiple choice questions
- an extended decline in business activity
- when glaciers melted, water filled the calleys creating flooded glacial valleys. The definition is creating flooded glacial valleys.
- to be able to support permanent residents
- sharply rising prices. This happened in Germany in 1929 when a worldwide economic depression left millions of Germans without jobs.
- deep and wide enough to allow large ships to pass. An example of this in Spain is the Guadalquivir River.
5 True/False questions
reparation → sharply rising prices. This happened in Germany in 1929 when a worldwide economic depression left millions of Germans without jobs.
ignite → embankments of earth and rock to hold back the water
mixed economy → variations of a language that are unique to a region or a community., a regional variety of a language, with differences in vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation; also a form of a language spoken by members of a particular social class or profession
peat → rocky material containing a valuable mineral
tertiary economic activities → the opposite of industrial activities. This term refers to service industries such as finance, insurance and tourism