5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a Hot, dry prevailing winds from North Africa that blow over the Southeastern region of Spain.
- b to be able to support permanent residents
- c a geologic phenomenon in which the ground in an area sinks. This happened in Venice
- d brought under state control. France brought under control some businesses considered vital to national interests.
- e a soft, brown coal that is easy to mine but pollutes the air heavily
5 Multiple choice questions
- miners strip away the surface of the earth to lay bare the mineral deposits.
- sharply rising prices. This happened in Germany in 1929 when a worldwide economic depression left millions of Germans without jobs.
- areas of land that have dropped down between faults. The Aegean Sea to the east of the Greek mainland occupies one of these.
- the opposite of industrial activities. This term refers to service industries such as finance, insurance and tourism
- rocky material containing a valuable mineral
5 True/False questions
cultural diffusion → deliberate efforts to keep cultures separate. An example of this would be The fighting between Irish Catholics and Protestants led to an example of this.
euro → a single currency to be used by member nations
peat → central point of concentrated activity and influence. An example of this would be Madrid as it was the central point of concentrated activity and of transportation routes
Florence, Italy → an extended decline in business activity
seismic activity → miners strip away the surface of the earth to lay bare the mineral deposits.