Upgrade to remove ads
Measuring (AT Kearney Index & KOF Index)
Terms in this set (18)
AT Kearney Index
AT Kearney is a management consultancy firm based in Chicago that releases a globalisation index each year.
AT Kearney Index Factors
- Economic Integration
- Personal Integration
- Technological Integration
- Political Integration
- Trade Volumes
- Foreign Direct Investment (Inflows and out outflows)
- International Travel and Tourism
- International Phone calls
- Number of interest users and number of interest hosts
- Membership of international organizations
- Financial contribution to UN peacekeeping missions
- Ratification of international treaties
How is the AT Kearney calculated?
The lowest value is given a 0, the highest value is given a 1, different factors of the AT Kearney Index have different weighted values
FDI, Internet and Telephone Traffic is weighted double
AT Kearney Advantages
It covers 96% of world GDP
It covers 84% of world's Population
Allows comparison between countries
Allows for comparison overtime
Disadvantages of AT Kearney
Only 64 countries are listed
Smaller countries tend to take the top places in the index due to higher proportion of FDI
Hard to measure cultural trends.
measuring globalization through economic, social, and political dimensions.
long distance flow of goods, money and services
the spread of ideas, information, images and people.
the diffusion of government policies
Advantages of KOF Index
- compare changes in globalization over a large number of countries
Disadvantages of KOF Index
- trade in newspapers is dated
- trade is hard to measure because many countries do not know their actual size of their economy.
- measuring foreign population can be inaccurate due to illegal immigrants
- difficult to calculate true number of internet users
eg. International telephone call and tourism
internet users per 1000 ppl and trade in newspapers as a % of GDP
Number of Cultural attractions such as restaurants
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Edexcel A-Level Geography - Globalisation
Edexcel Geography AS Level - Going Global
Globalisation key terms
Edexcel AS Geography: Globalisation
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
World Trade Organization, World Bank and Internati…
MGT 405: Exam 1
Year 10 Geography Global Interactions
International Economics Ch.1 and Ch.2