1. He thinks she goes to see her sister in New York. He's so dumb he doesn't know he's alive."
2. "I married him because I thought he was a gentleman...I thought he knew something about breeding, but he wasn't fit to lick my shoe."
3. "He borrowed somebody's best suit to get married in, and never told me about it, and the man came after it one day when he was out... I gave it to him and then I lay down and cried... all afternoon."
4. "I wanted to get out and walk eastward toward the park through the soft twilight, but each time I tried to go I became entangled in some wild, strident argument which pulled me back, as if with ropes, into my chair"
5. Eyes of Dr T J Ecklburg "brood on over the solemn dumping ground"
6. "I married him because I thought he was a gentleman...I thought he knew something about breeding, but he wasn't fit to lick my shoe."
7. "ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens; where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and, finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air."
8. "Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak, and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud, which screens their obscure operations from your sight."
1."like silver idols weighing down their own white dresses against the singing breeze of the fans."
2."there was no difference between men, in intelligence or race, so profound as the difference between the sick and the well. Wilson was so sick that he looked guilty."
3."There is no confusion like the confusion of a simple mind, and as we drove away Tom was feeling the hot whips of panic. His wife and his mistress, until an hour ago secure and inviolate, were slipping precipitately from his control."
4. "I suppose the latest thing is to sit back and let Mr. Nobody from Nowhere make love to your wife."
5."With every word she was drawing further and further into herself, so he gave that up, and only the dead dream fought on as the afternoon slipped away, trying to touch what was no longer tangible"
6."the promise of a decade of loneliness, a thinning list of single men to know, a thinning briefcase of enthusiasm"
7. "there was Jordan beside me, who, unlike Daisy, was too wise ever to carry well-forgotten dreams from age to age..."
8. "So we drove on toward death through the cooling twilight"
9. "sitting opposite each other at the kitchen table... They weren't happy... yet they weren't unhappy either. There was an unmistakable air of natural intimacy about the picture, and anybody would have said that they were conspiring together."
10. "there're things between Daisy and me that you'll never know"
11. "but I loved you too"
12. "In her heart she never loved anyone except me!"
1. "Let us learn to show friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead."
2."After Gatsby's death the East was haunted for me like that, distorted beyond my eyes' power of correction.
3. "They were careless people, Tom and Daisy--they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money of their vast carelessness"
4. "I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors' eyes-a fresh, green breast of the new world"
5. "He had come such a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close he could hardly fail to grasp it. But what he did not know was that it was already behind him"
6. "I see now that this has been a story of the West, after all--Tom and Gatsby, Daisy and Jordan and I, were all Westerners, and perhaps we possessed some deficiency in common which made us subtly unadaptable to Eastern life."
7."Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us."
8. "Well, I met another bad drive, didn't I?"
9. "tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning-- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."