1. Identify nationwide health improvement priorities
2. Increase public awareness and understanding of the determinants of the heath, disease and disability and the opportunities for progress.
3. Provide measurable objectives and goals that are applicable at the national, state and local levels.
4. Engage multiple sectors to take actions to strengthen policies and improve practices that are driven by the best available evidence and knowledge.
5. Identify critical research, evaluation and data collection needs.