Create an account
What is Healthy People 2020
A NATIONAL agenda that communicates a vision for improving health and achieving health equity. AND
A set of specific measurable objectives with targets to be achieved over the decade.
What are the key features of Healthy People 2020?
1. Strategic framework
2. Data-driven outcomes
3. Stakeholders at all levels
4. Research, program planning, policy efforts
How are stakeholders using Healthy People 2020?
1. Data tool-program performance
2. Framework-program planning & development
3. Goal Setting/Agenda Building
4. Teaching public health courses
5. Compare state and local data.
6. Develop nontraditional partnerships
Who leads Health People 2020?
Department of HHS (federal) with an Advisory Committee providing input to the Secretary of HHS.
What happened in 1970?
Julius Richmond establishes first national prevention agenda: HP: Surgeon General's Report on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
What happened in 2000?
Healthy People 2000: National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives
What were the goals in 1990?
1. Decrease mortality of infants-adults
2. Increase independence among older adults.
What were the goals in 2000?
1. Increase span of healthy life.
2. Reduce health disparities
3. Achieve access to preventative services for all
What were the goals in 2010?
1. Increase quality & years of health life.
2. Eliminate health disparities
What are the goals for 2020?
1. Attain high-quality longer lives free of preventable disease.
2. Achieve health equity; eliminate disparities
3. Create social and physical environments that promote good health.
4. Promote quality of life, healthy development, health behaviors across life stages.
What is HP 2020 Mission?
1. Identify nationwide health improvement priorities
2. Increase public awareness and understanding of the determinants of the heath, disease and disability and the opportunities for progress.
3. Provide measurable objectives and goals that are applicable at the national, state and local levels.
4. Engage multiple sectors to take actions to strengthen policies and improve practices that are driven by the best available evidence and knowledge.
5. Identify critical research, evaluation and data collection needs.
What non health sectors will help improve health?
What are the 13 topic areas added?
1. Adolescent/Early/Middle Childhood
3. Blood Disorder/Safety
5. Global Health
6. Healthcare-Associated Infection
7. Health-Related Quality of Life
8. Gay/Transgender/Bisexual Health Issues
9. Older Adults
11. Sleep Health
12. Social Determinants of Health
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together