Create an account
1. Determines the scene is safe
2. Determines mechanism of injury/nature of illness
3. Determines the number of patients
4. Requests additional help if necessary
5. Considers stabilization of spine
1. Verbalizes general impression of patient (age, sex, race, distress, appearance, stable v. unstable)
2. Determines LOC (AVPU, altered LOC could be because of inadequate perfusion AKA hypoxic or drugs; Person Place Time Event)
3. Determines chief complaint/apparent life threats
4. Assesses airway and breathing (A & B)
5. Assesses circulation (C)
6. Identifies priority patients/makes transport decisions
Assessing airway and breathing
Assessment, indicates appropriate oxygen therapy (depth, quality, rhythm, rate), assures adequate ventilation (when >24 breaths pm and <8 breaths pm)
Assesses/controls major bleeding, assesses pulse (rate, quality, rhythm), assesses skin color (color, temperature and condition)
Focused history and physical examination/rapid assessment
1. Selects appropriate assessment (focused or rapid)
2. Obtains vitals (BELLSRP)
3. Obtains SAMPLE history
Detailed physical examination
1. Assess head
7. Secondary injuries --> manage them appropriately
8. Reassess vitals
Assessing the head
Inspects and palpates the scalp and ears.
Assesses the facial areas including oral and nasal areas.
Assessing the neck
Inspects and palpates the neck
Assesses for jugular vein distention (JVD)
Assesses for tracheal deviation
Verbalizes assessment of genitalia/perineum as needed
Assessment of motor, sensory and circulation function
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together