BPOC 133rd Problem Solving
Terms in this set (37)
What are some ways to facilitate effective communication ?
What are some characteristics of arranging the environment for effective communication ?
- Eliminating distraction
- Adding attractors
- Enhancing the environment to facilitate communication
What are some characteristics of positioning for effectiveness and safety ?
- Distancing fr enough to be safe, close enough to see and hear
- Facing squarely
- Looking directly at people to demonstrate confidence and attentiveness (while keeping the cultural context in mind)
What are some characteristics of posturing effect and control ?
- Standing or sitting erect to show strength and confidence in oneself
- Eliminating distracting behaviors that interfere with focusing on what is important
- Leaning forward slightly to show that you are interested and concerned
What is the definition of critical thinking ?
Is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, or communication, as a guide to belief and action
What is community policing ?
Is a policing philosophy that promotes and supports organizational strategies to address the causes and reduce the fear of crime and social disorder through problem-solving tactics and community-police partnerships
What are the essential aspects of critical thinking ?
- Point of View
- Procedures for Applying Criteria
Critical thinkers are skeptical, open-minded, value fair-mindedness, respect evidence and reasoning, respect clarity and precision, look at different points of view, and will change positions when reason leads them to do so. What essential aspect of critical thinking is this?
To think critically, must apply criteria. Need to have conditions that must be met for something to be judged as believable. Although the argument can be made that each subject area has different criteria, some standards apply to all subjects. What essential aspect of critical criteria is this ?
Is a statement or proposition with supporting evidence. Critical thinking involves identify, evaluating, and constructing arguments. What essential aspect of critical thinking is this?
The ability to infer a conclusion from one or multiple premises. To do so requires examining logical relationships among statements or data. What essential aspect of critical thinking is this?
The way one views the world, which shapes one's construction of meaning. In a search for understanding, critical thinkers view phenomena from many points of view. What essential aspect of critical thinking is this ?
Point of View
Other types of thinking use a general procedure. Critical thinking makes use of many procedures. These procedures include asking questions, making judgments, and identifying assumptions. What essential aspect of critical thinking is this ?
Procedures for Applying Criteria
Methods of good problem solving involve what ?
- Positive attitude
- Concern for accuracy
- Breaking the problem into parts
- Avoiding guessing
- Activeness in problem solving
What are the four components of the SARA Model ?
The identification of a cluster of similar, related or recurring incidents through a preliminary review of information, and the selection of this crime/disorder problem, among competing priorities, for future examination. Which component is this of the SARA model?
The use of several sources of information to determine why a problem is occurring, who is responsible, who is affected, where the problem is located, when it occurs and what form the problem takes. Requires identifying patterns that explain the conditions that facilitate the crime or disorder problem. What component is this of the SARA model ?
The execution of a tailored set of actions that address the most important findings of the problem analysis phase and focus on at least two of the following: 1) preventing future occurrences by deflecting offenders; 2) protecting likely victims; or 3) making crime locations less conductive to problem behaviors. What component is this of the SARA Model ?
The measurement of the impact of the responses on the targeted crime/disorder problem using information collected from multiple sources, both before and after the responses has been implemented. Allows feedback from all resources to include the officers and community. What component is this of the SARA model ?
What three factors must be present for a crime to occur according to the crime triangle ?
What percentage of an officer's duties involve verbal skills?
What percentage of contacts require physical force?
What are the elements of communication ?
- Words, touch, body movement and message
- Content (actual message)
- Voice (verbal personality)
- Non verbal (raised eyebrows, posture, etc.)
What percentage of the time is a message received due to content?
What percentage of the time is a message received due to voice ?
What percentage of the time is a message received due to non-verbals?
What percentage of the time is a message received and interpreted based on how something is said rather than what is said?
What are the elements an officer must recognize and control in every encounter ?
- Ethical Presence
What are some helpful tools used to redirect someone's behavior using verbal persuasion ?
What are the different types of verbal appeals ?
What are some characteristics of ethical appeal ?
- Based upon position as a professional officer
- Assures other person
- Persuade others of your desire for a positive outcome
- This appeal is useful when dealing with people who are upset and highly emotional
What are some characteristics of rational appeal ?
- Based on use of reasoning
- Appeal to common sense, good judgment, or community standards
- Show that solution is reasonable and most likely to produce results
- This appeal is valuable when dealing with people having a strong sense of right or wrong
What are some characteristics of practical appeal ?
- Based on an urgent need to change a particular circumstance
- Ignores long-term consequences
- It is a short-term solution
- Adapt yourself and persuade the other person that you are like them
- Based on the beliefs and value system of the person
What are some characteristics of personal appeal ?
- Based on addressing person's needs and desires
- Set aside own personal values
- This type of appeal work well with headstrong people who insist on getting their own way
What two use's of force an officer may use ?
What is selective use of force ?
The officer knows what kind of force and how much to use
What is appropriate use of force ?
Used in controlled and purposeful manner
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
MCAT Behavioral Sciences | Kaplan Guide
Communication and Problem solving
Chapter 5 - Decision Making and Problem Solving as a Manager
Functional Perspective on Group Decision Making: Chapter 18
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
BPOC 133rd MOA
BPOC 133 CIT
BPOC 133rd Crowd Control
BPOC 133rd Hazmat
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
CIT (Crisis Intervention Training)
Hazardous Materials Awareness
Communication and Problem Solving
Communication and Problem solving