a condition characterized by profuse sweating, dizziness, and extreme weakness
a condition characterized by hot, dry skin and a rising body temperature that is a true emergency, most severe of the heat-related problems
an excessive decline in body temperature
a 10- to 15-minute period in which you prepare your body for vigorous exercise
a 10- to 15-minute period, after exercising, in which the body is helped to regain a resting state
a pain in the lower leg caused by overuse
a large muscle in your upper abdomen
Stitch in the side
sharp pain in the side, just under the ribs
Evaluating your current fitness level prior to beginning an exercise program A) is only important for physically inactive people B) is usually not important C) will have nothing to do with the activities you choose for your program D) will help you set realistic goals
D) will help you set realistic goals
Proper athletic footwear is A) overrated as a factor in setting up an exercise program B) the main requirement for the care and protection of your feet C) the same regardless of the physical activity you do D) worthwhile only if you are involved in a sports program
B) the main requirement for the care and protection of your feet
Which of the following would be important to do when exercising in hot weather? A) dressing in layers B) taking salt tablets C) wearing a sweat suit if you want to lose weight D) wearing light-weight, light-colored clothing
D) wearing light-weight, light-colored clothing
Which of the following best describes the symptoms of heat stroke? A) clammy skin, no sweat, visual disturbances B) hot, dry skin, no sweat, unsteady walking C) no sweat, average body temperature, lack or urine D) unsteady walking, no sweat, chills
B) hot, dry skin, no sweat, unsteady walking
Which of the following is the most serious heat illness? A) excessive sweating B) heat exhaustion C) heat stroke D) muscle cramps
C) heat stroke
Which best describes a preventive measure for a heat illness? A) do not wear a hat because your head cools more quickly without one B) drink fluids, before, during, ad after exercise C) wear a rubberized suit since it will help you sweat more D) wear dark-colored clothing in hot weather
B) drink fluids, before, during, ad after exercise
Which of the following would be important to do while exercising in cold weather? A) dressing in layers B) drinking a glass of water before exercising C) wearing a rubberized suit D) wearing light-colored clothing
A) dressing in layers
The process of warming-up A) generates heat in the muscle and joint tissues B) helps to make you feel like moving vigorously C) increases the blood supply to your muscles D) involves all of the above benefits
D) involves all of the above benefits
The process of warming-up A) is adequately done by stretching for one or two minutes B) is probably not important for most activities C) involves stretching as well as some aerobic activity such as easy jogging D) is usually done by a majority of people
C) involves stretching as well as some aerobic activity such as easy jogging
Cooling down after working out is a process that A) most people do very well B) takes only a couple minutes C) very few people build into their programs D) allows the body to return to normal after exercise
D) allows the body to return to normal after exercise
What is important to know when you are working out in the heat?
- always drink a lot of water - wear shoes that are designed well and fit comfortably - wear socks to prevent blisters and to provide comfort - wear light color clothing - not a lot of layers
What is important to know when you are working out in cold weather?
- wear layers to keep body heat in - don't overdress because you will start to sweat and that makes you uncomfortable - wear water-resistant outer garments
Why is a medical exam necessary?
- it is important for people who have not been physically active to see where they are at - exam should include a exercise stress test - the heart's response to exercise is monitored closely by a physician
Why is it important to evaluate your present level of fitness?
- it will allow you to set realistic goals for yourself to achieve - help to determine your progress over a period of time
How do you ensure your personal safety while exercising?
- wearing the right clothes - not pushing yourself to hard in the beginning knowing that you are not ready for that kind of intensity so soon - drink lots of water before, during, and after exercise
What are two things you should do after returning to exercise after being ill?
1) if you return but still don't feel well stop exercising 2) begin at a lower level when you are returning from a sickness
What is the process of warming up and cooling down do and consist of?
Warming up: Do- mentally focus your efforts & makes you feel like moving, increase heart rate & blood supply to muscles, generates heat in muscles & joints