Global: Ottoman Empire 3/5/13
Terms in this set (13)
Located in the bosporus strait
-allowed trade and wealth to flourish
Who made up the Ottoman empire?
They were turkish who were practiced Islam
1. ruled by sultans/caliphs (religious power)
2. sultans had viziers who controlled the land
3. viziers had bevs/knights that would help tend the land
What was the government in Istanbul
Bureaucracy - centralized government
What was the Ottoman empire also called?
The Gunpowder empire (the use of gunpowder during battle)
-Got the gunpowder from China
How did they feel about conquered people?
They tolerated the conquered people and their religions
boys who were taken from Christian communities and converted to islam, who were train soldiers.
-Janissaries were loyal to their own sultan and owed them everything that they asked for
What was the importance of Mehmed the 2nd
1. Captured Constantinople and renamed it istanbul
2. Created a very strong army
3. Gained control of the bosporus strait which influenced trade, economy and taxes
What was the importance of Selin the first
1. Caliph and conquered Egypt
2. Moved capital from Istanbul to North Africa
3. Expanded empire to Europe
What was the importance of Suleiman the Magnificent?
1. Very good at conquering and strategized military
2. Greatest Ottoman Sultan
3. Attacked areas of Austria, Romania, and Hungary
4. Enforced Islamic law
What was a millet?
A group of religiously the same people who lived in one community
-Tolerated as long as they stayed within
1. Never forced to convert
2. Non-muslims did have equal rights to the muslim people
3. Had to pay taxes
Fall of empire
a. Rulers were weak -> population was overpopulated -> uncontrollable -> revolts
b. places around the empire became stronger and they had modern empire that outdated the ottomans
c. Toleration of different cultures and religions caused a separation within the empire