Upgrade to remove ads
Government 2306 Exam 4
Terms in this set (70)
What is a Local Government?
A form of public administration which exists as the lowest tier of administration within a given state
How many counties are in Texas?
How many cities are in Texas?
What are the characteristics of a County Government?
- 1 county judge
- County Commissioners Court - 4 county commissioners
What are the functions of County Government?
1. Set County Tax rate
2. Road and bridge construction and maintenance
3. Law Enforcement
4. Dispute Resolution
5. Record keeping
6. Social services
What is the Home Rule Status?
Towns with <5000 Population - chartered by General Statute - - Property tax rate capped at $1.50
Characteristics of Mayor Council
- City has mayor and a council,
- Mayor is elected from city at large
Council either at-large or single-member districts
- Strong mayor (chief executive)
- Council acts as city legislature
What is the most common form of Government in Texas?
- 250 of 291 home rule cities
- Council hires city manager run the city
What are the different types of Local Government?
1. County Government
2. City Government
3. Special Districts
Councils of Government
Regional planning boards that try to coordinate efforts of local governments and combining services for efficiency
All media is _________?
Unfairly prejudiced for or against someone or something
The bias or perceived bias of journalists and news producers within the mass media in the selection of events and stories that are reported and how they are reported
The Media has shifted throughout the course of history from being ____ to ____.
Objective to Subjective
Types of Media Bias...
- Selection of source,
- Story selection
How does the Media coincide with Democracy?
1st & 4th Amendment
Types of Format the Media uses...?
Newspapers, magazines, books
Broadcast and Subscription service
Broadcast and Subscription service
- Professional journalism,
- Social Media
What is Digital Citizenship?
Ability to participate in society and politics online
- Reposting content,
- Commenting on an original work to relay news or opinions
In what 3 ways does the media influence public opinion?
1. Agenda setting,
Direct attention to specific topics
Influence how events are interpreted
Shaping how the audience evaluates leaders, events, or issues
The disclosure of confidential information to the news media
What does FCC stand for..?
-Federal Communications Commission
- Licenses to broadcast TV and radio stations.
- Prohibits obscenity, indecency, and profanity
Texas has more than ___ local governments.
Texas has ___ municipal (city) units.
Texas has ___ school districts.
1,082 SCHOOL districts
Texas has ___ special districts.
2,291 SPECIAL districts
___ and ___ counties are vulnerable because of natural disasters.
Medium and Small
2. Municipal Utility,
3. Community College,
5. Water Districts.
- These districts do not follow city or county lines, but are determined by their own function and reach.
On June 25, 2015, the Supreme Court ruled what to be legal and constitutional?
Independent nonprofit organization that is dedicated to publishing classified information. Posts leaked documents anonymously.
Media is more adversarial than ever because it focuses on what 3 things?
Enforced separation of different racial groups in a country, community, or establishment
De jure Segregation
- Segregation by law,
- Ended with Brown v. Board of Education
De Facto Segregation
Segregation by choice, due to natural segregation in neighborhoods (projects, wealthy areas, development housing, government housing, etc.)
Policy mandated by the federal government to end racial segregation in public schools, some did it quicker than others
Robin Hood Plan
challenged tax funding system in which poor school districts had impoverished resources and facilities, while wealthier school districts thrived. Called for equitable funds for all school districts by moving funds from wealthy school districts to less fortunate ones.
STAR tests, TAKS, Otis tests, other high stakes testing. Hard to measure or demonstrate
1896 - Plessy v. Ferguson
- Man arrested for sitting in "white" car on East Louisiana Railroad.
- Supreme Court upheld state segregation laws under the doctrine of "Separate but Equal" facilities.
1954 - Brown v. Board of Education
- Parents sued board of education under the pretense of facilities being separate and very unequal.
- Supreme Court ruled that state laws establishing separate schools for blacks and whites were UNCONSTITUTIONAL
War on Poverty
LBJ's campaign to expand number of social services for the poor
1984 - Edgewood ISD v. Kirby
- Parents and school district of Edgewood sued William Kirby (commissioner of education) under the pretense of discrimination against students in poor school districts.
- Texas Supreme Court ruled that the state's methods of funding public schools violated at least 4 constitutional principles.
Resulted in the "Robin Hood plan"
What comedian tested the FCC obscentiy guidlines?
What are 2 online outlets for Media?
1. Original Posting
2. News Aggregation
What are the different types of online jounralism?
- Citizen Journalism & Blogs
- Social Media
What former Mayor worked to pass a LGBT bathroom ordinance in Houston?
What are the four steps in Policy Formation?
1. Problem identification
2. Policy formation
What percentage of the state budget is HHSC?
38% (Health & Human Services Commission)
What percentage of Texas public school kids are Hispanic?
A type of journalism devoted to a specific target audience....?
The DNC emails were suspected to be leaked by who?
Even though Local Government is the lowest tier, what essential services do they provide?
- Public education
Property taxes are based on what? What kind of tax is this?
- Per $100 valuation
- Progressive Tax
What type of City government form is College Station?
What does "single-member district" mean?
Officials are bound to represent designated boundaries in city or county.
Who regulates broadcast material?
During the 2008 presidential election, the media did what to Sarah Palin?
Framed her as an intellectual lightweight and Primed the public to evaluate her as being unprepared for office
On April 26, 2017 Texas House members voted to
Outlaw "Sanctuary" jurisdictions in Texas
- Has a lot to do with legislature;
- Pressure of groups to go on with legislation
What are some public policy issues?
3 issues that have shaped Texas Public Educational policy over last 50 years
2. Equity in public schools
3. Search for Educational Excellence
What landmark case addresses Equity in public school funding?
San Antonio ISD v. Rodriguez
- Began w/ New Deal
- Dependent on government
- Provides a safety net
- $61.2 Billion (2016-2017)
- 3.6 million people
- Affordable Care Act
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Government 2306 Chapters 7,8,9,10
GOVT 2306 Final- Woodard
Government 2306 Final-Woodard
GOVT 2 FINAL
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Government Exam 4 Woodard
Test 4 government
Unit 1 Gov
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
COSC 381 Final Exam
URPN 201 Exam 2 Review
Government 2306 Exam 3