Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (35)
1. Company Planet is expanding and needs to fill 25 new job openings as quickly as possible. After ensuring that there is a clear picture of what the hired employees will need to know and be able to do, the next step in finding these employees is to
c. develop a recruiting process to attract qualified applicants.
2. Which of the following should be the highest priority when designing the recruitment strategy and process?
a. Ensuring that each hiring manager and/or recruiter understands the requirements of the job, how the job fits into the organizational goals, and the qualifications necessary for someone to successfully perform the job.
3. A company often makes the decision to focus on internal recruitment to send a message to employees that
b. the company values the KSAs and loyalty of current employees.
4. Identifying the relevant labor market for a job requires understanding both the skill level of the job required and
a. where geographically one would expect to be able to find a sufficient number of qualified applicants with the required level of skill.
5. Ping applied for a job with his employer that would be a promotion. He was upset because he was not selected even though he was qualified. Someone external to the company was hired. Why would a company not promote a qualified internal candidate?
d. Fresh ideas are wanted in the company.
6. When one of your employees is promoted, you decide to use the company database to identify potential candidates for the now open position. This type of database is known as a/an
c. employee inventory.
7. Why are job sites such as CareerBuilder.com so popular with employers?
d. They provide a way to reach a large number of potentially qualified candidates in an accessible format.
8. Ricardo is an accounting major. One of the big four accounting firms invited him to spend a week at its Baltimore, Maryland, location during the summer between his sophomore and junior years. Ricardo is completing a/n
9. Jackson Consulting, a large government contractor, has adopted a policy that it will only advertise online for open positions. Why should the company reconsider this policy?
a. The policy assumes that all qualified candidates will have access to a computer to view job listings.
10. Career fairs are a popular recruiting strategy for colleges and universities. Career fairs
c. provide an opportunity for a company to share information about their job openings with a large number of applicants in one place at the same time.
11. Freida is using an employment agency to help her find a new marketing executive for her firm. The agency she is using requires her to pay a percentage of the new hire's first year salary when the search is successful. Freida is using a
b. contingency recruiting agency.
12. Research has shown that employee referrals are a highly effective way to recruit applicants. What is the main reason a firm would not want to rely solely on employee referrals to source applicants?
d. Relying on employee referrals often limits diversity in a company.
13. Using social networking sites such as LinkedIn to identify potential candidates for jobs when they may not be actively looking for a new job is known as
14. Why would a company be willing to entice employees who left the company into returning to work for the company?
b. These employees are already knowledgeable about the company so will be able to orient and socialize more quickly back into the company.
15. Centurey is a 20-year-old high tech company that provides software to Fortune 100 companies. In recruiting messages, the company always emphasizes how working for Centurey provides employees with the opportunity to balance work and family, thus differentiating itself from other high tech companies that have the expectation that their employees will work long hours every day. Centurey has created a unique
a. recruitment value proposition.
16. Why is it important to provide information about the work conditions in an employee advertisement?
a. To help potential applicants self-select out of the application process if they cannot work in those conditions with or without reasonable accommodation.
17. The job advertisement on the company website includes information about flexible scheduling options, tuition allowances, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous family friendly benefits. Which type of applicant (assume the applicant is qualified) would be more likely interested in this job?
b. Single parent with a few years of college and some experience wanting to make a job change.
18. Ren is a new recruiter. She wants to make sure that the recruiting process she uses yields a high return of qualified hires for the company. Ren should consider doing all but which one of the following activities to increase her chances of success?
d. Save time by contacting only those applicants who seem to be a good fit, responding to the other applicants only if they contact her directly.
19. After being hired as a recruiter, Alex decided to spend some time in the department for which she would be recruiting new employees. She spent time talking to the supervisor and to employees currently working in the department to learn as much as possible about the work environment and nature of the work. Alex will be a successful recruiter because she understands that
b. the more knowledgeable the recruiter is about the job and the company, the better will be her ability to attract the best potential applicants.
20. In describing a job to an applicant, the recruiter made sure he talked about both the positive and negative aspects of the job. The recruiter was using a/an
c. realistic job preview.
21. After interviewing each applicant for a toy assembly position, the recruiter takes the applicant on a tour of the assembly line so that the applicant can see the process in action, meet people who currently do the job, and learn more about what is required of the employees. The recruiter is providing which experience for the applicants?
c. Realistic job preview.
22. Recruitment metrics are important to use to
d. All of the above.
23. In reviewing recruitment methods for the job of computer analyst, the recruiting manager learns that more applicants apply through the company website than through any other recruiting method and that these applicants are more likely to be selected for interviews than applicants from other recruiting methods. The recruiting manager is reviewing
c. yield ratios.
24. A large distribution center needed to fill 12 merchandise sorting positions. They advertised the openings in the local newspaper and received 90 applications. Out of the 90 applications, 35 applicants were qualified and interviewed for the position. What is the yield ratio for the newspaper recruiting?
25. Why would a company want to benchmark best recruiting practices at other firms?
d. To assess what the competition is doing and decide to match or exceed it.
26. How might recruitment differ for a company focused on a low-cost strategy versus a company using a differentiation strategy?
d. All of the above.
27. Dollar General uses a low-cost strategy as a company. They want to bring in more customers by keeping prices low. How would this strategy impact the type of recruitment process used at Dollar General for sales associates?
a. The company will want to minimize the costs associated with recruiting job applicants, focusing on a local labor market.
28. The purpose of a replacement chart is to
b. track information about employees who can move into higher level positions within the company in the future.
29. Why is it so important that applicants perceive that the recruitment process is fair and accurate?
d. All of the above
30. You have been tasked with finding a new Director of Operations for the regional insurance company for which you work. What would be the relevant labor market for recruiting for this job?
c. The answer depends on the skill level of this job and the availability of potential applicants in the various labor markets (e.g., local, regional, national).
31. Why are companies reluctant to recruit workers with disabilities?
d. All of the above are true statements.
32. For a global firm, what is the greatest value of hiring recruiters from the host country?
d. All of the above are important.
33. Any offer letters extended by Harrison Consulting clearly states that the conditions addressed in the letter represent only the company expectations. Why is it important that Harrison include this statement in offer letters?
b. Prevents truth-in-hiring lawsuits.
34. A job advertisement reads as follows: "Wanted, bright young men to sell athletic club memberships. Interested applicants should contact Sam at 204-501-6666." Is this an acceptable and adequate way to recruit applicants for these positions?
d. No, it is not acceptable as it discriminates against female applicants and does not give sufficient information about the organization or job requirements.
35. How long must a company retain information about recruitment activities?
c. According to local and state requirements if they are more stringent than federal regulations, otherwise follow federal regulations.
Sets found in the same folder
Sets with similar terms
HR Exam 2
Chapter 6 HRM
HR Management Ch.6-Recruiting
HR Chapter 6
Other sets by this creator
MGT 365 Final Study
MGT 365 CH 12
Other Quizlet sets
Pflanzliche Öle und Fette aus Ölsaaten
MODULE 1 - CLINICAL CHEMISTRY LECTURE OB…
BS1062 Hearing and Balance