Create an account
Phases of the cell cycle
a. non-dividing cells exit cell cycle.
b. at this point, cells commits to go through the cell cycle.
c. DNA replicates.
e. miotic spindle begins to form.
f. cell divides, forming 2 daughter cells.
Mechanisms underlying the events of mitosis
* cohesins join sister chromatids of duplicated chromosome.
*tubulins assemble into spindle microtubules.
* microtubules attach to kinetochores.
*kinetochores are motionlessin relation to poles of cell.
* cohesins break down.
*kinetochores move toward poles of cell.
* spindle microtubules dissemble.
The mitotic spindle
1. During prophase, microtubules of the miotic spindle lenghten.
2. During anaphase, the nonkinetochore microtubules lengthen and move fast past each other,and the kinetochore microtubules shorten.
3. During telophase, the nonkinetochore microtubules disassemble
Roles of the mitotic spindle
1. Will this cell elongate during mitosis? (yes)
2. Will the sister chromatids separate from each other? (yes)
3. Will the chromosomes move to the poles of the cell? (no)
Comparing chromosome separation in bacteria and eukaryotes
*Chromosome separation begins at the origin of replication on DNA.
* Before separation, duplicated chromosomes condense.
* Nuclear envelope fragments, permitting chromosome separation.
* 2 copies of the duplicated chromosome are attached at their centromeres before separation.
Both Bacteria and Eukariotes:
* Chromosomes replicate before cell division.
* Replicated chromosomes separate by attaching to some other structural feature of the cell.
Cytokinesis in plant cells: Which of the following statements are true of cytokinesis in plant cells? Select the two that apply
*Vesicles from the Golgi apparatus move along microtubules, coalesce at the plane of cell division, and form a cell plate.
*The cell plate consists of the plasma membrane and cell wall that will eventually separate the two daughter cells.
The presence of a cell wall prevents the cell from dividing by constriction
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together