Chapter 24 World War Looms TEST REVIEW
TEST REVIEW FOR CHAPTER 24, World War Looms.
Terms in this set (18)
Joseph Stalin-Soviet Union
Name means steel
Transformed the Soviet Union into an industrialized nation. Transformed Russia from backward rural power into a great industrial power. Total Communist state. No private property allowed.
Systematic killing of a racial or cultural group. DELIBERATE EXTERMINATION of a specific group of people.
Speed, Surprise, Overwhelming Force.
Lightning War strategy of the Germans during WWII. Used speed , surprise, and overwhelming force with the latest weaponry such as air strikes.
Before WWII-Giving Hitler what he wants.
Giving Hitler what he wants in an event to PREVENT WWII. Neville Chamberlain from Britain agreed to let Hitler take the Sudetenland because Hitler promised not to attack any other country. HITLER DID NOT KEEP HIS PROMISE AND WWII BEGAN WHEN HITLER ATTACKED POLAND.
Stalin: Leader of Russia during WWII.
Hitler: Leader of Germany
Franco-Fascist leader of Spain before and during WWII.
Leader of Spain. Successfully established a Fascist regime in Spain. The Spanish Civil War was a "dress rehearsal" for WWII.
Prime Minister of England after Neville Chamberlain.
CHURCHILL took over after Chamberlain and the disastrous Munich Pact that attempted to appease Hitler. CHURCHILL WAS AGAINST APPEASEMENT AND THE MUNICH PACT. He felt Britain and France should have stood up to Hitler.
Attempt at appeasement.
OPPOSED BY CHURCHILL.
Signed between Germany, France, and Great Britain. ATTEMPT TO APPEASE HITLER. GAVE HITLER PART OF CZECH LAND IN ATTEMPT TO STOP WAR. Churchill was against appeasement and the signing of the Munich Pact.
The Nazi program of exterminating Jews under Hitler. Over 6 million Jewish people were systematically slaughtered.
Signed a non-aggression act with Hitler. In other words, Hitler agreed not to attack Russia, but Hitler double-crossed Russia.
Non Aggression Pact 1939.
1939-Secret agreement between German leader Hitler and Soviet Leader Stalin not to attack one another and to divide Poland
Submit to bully's demands.
Policy of giving in to aggressor's demands in an attempt to prevent war. In the case of Britain and France, they submitted to Hitler's plan to take over part of Czechoslovakia in an attempt to prevent war.
What forced the United States to enter WWII?
Japan bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. "An attack that will live in infamy..."
Bombing of Pearl Harbor by Japan
1. This event caused America to become involved in WWII and declare war.
2. Before this bombing, many American citizens and politicians favored a policy of neutrality and isolationism. Too many members of Congress did not want to vote to enter the war before Pearl Harbor.
3.WWII was fought in Europe against Germany and in the South Pacific against Japan. Many Americans saw no need to fight the war because it was fought so far away.
1. Believed the Germans or Aryans were a superior, master race. Believed that other cultures and races such as Jewish people and/or Gypsies were inferior.
Nazis believed they had the right to conquer to acquire more "living room" for their master race.
They also believed that all Germanic people should be united in territory.
When Germans conquered, they "rounded up" the Jewish population and sent them to death camps.
German Feelings After World War I that led to World War II
1. Germans were entirely blamed for World War I, and they were severely punished in the Treaty of Versailles. They had to pay steep reparations and give up their army and colonies.
2. Hitler came on the scene and gave Germans back their army, their pride. He gave jobs and hope for the future.
Hitler's diabolical plan to exterminate the Jewish population from Europe. Jewish people from conquered territories were shipped to concentration camps.
2. The Jewish people either worked to death in the camps or were gassed to death if they could not work.