Upgrade to remove ads
To Kill A Mockingbird Review
Test Review On To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Use these terms to study, play games with, etc. Have Fun. ( :
Terms in this set (61)
- lawyer defending Tom Robinson
- Scout and Jem's single father
- tells Scout they'll keep reading at night if she keeps going to school
Jean Louise Finch
- tomboy who likes to fight
Atticus' brother who is a doctor
- spanks Scout for punching Francis and cussing but apologizes later when he finds out why she did it
- comes to live with the Finches to give Scout a female role model
- thinks Scout should think and act like a girl
- won't let Scout visit Cal's house
- think Atticus should let Cal go
- the Finches' cousin who Scout gets into a fight with when he calls Atticus names
- the Finches' cook who is also like a second mother to the children
- African American woman who takes them to her church
- Black man accused of raping Mayella Ewell
- he is unable to use his left hand which would have made it quite difficult for him to attack Mayella the way she says he did
- is shot 17 times and killed by prison guards when he tries to escape
- preacher at First Purchase who sits with the kids at the trial and locks his congregation in the church until they take up enough money for the Robinson family
- the children sit with him during the trial
- Calpurnia's son who leads the singing at First Purchase
- Charles Baker Harris
- Scout's "fiance" who is passed around from family member to family member throughout the year
- tells all sorts of crazy stories about who his daddy is
- wants to be a clown when he grows up
- Scout finds him under her bed
- sheriff in Maycomb
- testifies that they did NOT call a doctor for Mayella
- tells Atticus that "Bob Ewell fell on his knife" because he believes it would be wrong to drag Boo out into the limelight for killing Bob Ewell
- nice Baptist neighbor who makes the kids 3 little cakes and takes good care of her flowers
- her house catches fire
- talks to the children like adults
- teaches them many lessons, like that Atticus does the town's dirty work for them and is the same in his house as he is in public
- addict who Atticus said was the bravest person he ever knew
- Jem and Scout have to go read to her because Jem broke her flower bushes
- she has "fits" of withdrawal from morphine
- white man who has mixed children
- drinks Coca-Cola out of a paper bag but everyone thinks it's alcohol (gives them an excuse for his "behavior")
- rabid dog that Atticus shoots
- accuses Tom Robinson of raping her
- lives in a dump but has pretty red geraniums
- thinks Atticus is making fun of her when he calls her ma'am
- town drunk who uses his relief checks on alcohol instead of caring for his children
- accuses Tom Robinson of raping his daughter
- attacks Jem and Scout
- killed by Boo Radley
- has "cooties" (lice)
- makes Miss Caroline cry
- only goes to school on the first day
- Boo's brother who keeps him in the house and fills up the tree hole where the kids had been getting presents
- town "phantom" that is rarely seen
- his real name is Arthur Radley
- puts a blanket around Scout the night of the fire
- the kids play a game where they act out his story
- supposedly stabbed his father in the leg with scissors
- saves Jem and Scout from Bob Ewell by killing him
- pays for Atticus' services with nuts instead of money
- Scout talks to him about his son which diffuses the situation with the mob at the jail
Mr. Walter Cunningham
- Scout rubbed his nose in the dirt on the first day of school for getting her in trouble
- he comes to their house for dinner and pours syrup all over his food
- was guarding the jail with a shotgun
- wrote an editorial in the newspaper about how Tom Robinson's death was like the "senseless slaughter of songbirds"
Scout's first grade teacher who doesn't want her to read with Atticus anymore
- swatted Scout with a ruler for telling her she was "shaming" Walter Cunningham
What is the setting of TKAM?
Maycomb, Alabama, 1930s
When was TKAM published?
Why does Calpurnia get angry with Scout at the lunch table?
For making fun of Walter when he puts syrup on his food
What is Atticus' advice for Scout to get along with people better?
1. To walk a mile in their shoes
2. To get inside their skin and walk around in it
3. To see things from their points of view
What kinds of things do the kids find in the tree?
gum, pennies, spelling medal, ball of string, old watch
What does Scout hear when she rolls up to the Radley yard in the tire?
At first, Jem is disappointed in Atticus because he won't play ___________, but then he finds out he's the best ________ in Maycomb County.
What do you know about First Purchase (Cal's church)?
- no hymn books
- Cal talks different
- Rev. Sykes locks the people in
What is Atticus' dangerous question? And what does that mean?
"Do you really think so?" What Atticus is really saying is that he does not agree with Mr. Deas' views about Tom's trial, and has no intention of abandoning Tom regardless of what threats he (Atticus) must face.
What point of view is the novel told from?
Who is the narrator of the story?
How does Atticus convince Scout to keep going to school?
He tells her they will still read together every night.
How do the kids try to communicate with Boo Radley?
A note at the end of a fishing pole that they put up to the window
What happens to Jem's pants?
The children have to run when Nathan Radley comes out of his house shooting. When they run under the fence, Jem loses his pants.
What is different about Jem's pants when he goes back to get them later that night?
They are sewn up and folded across the fence
(Boo did it)
Why does Nathan Radley say he is filling the knot-hole?
He says the tree is dying.
We know that it's really because he doesn't want Boo giving the kids presents anymore.
Why does Scout think the world is ending?
Who is Cecil Jacobs?
He is a kid who gives Scout a hard time about her dad defending Tom Robinson.
He is also the one who jumps out and scares Jem and Scout on their way to the Halloween pageant.
What is Cecil Jacob's current events article about toward the end of the story?
It is about Hitler persecuting the Jews.
Who is Miss Gates and how does she confuse Scout?
She is Scout's third grade teacher.
She confuses Scout because she talks about how what Hitler is doing to the Jews is terrible, but then she treats AfricanAmericans in her own town terribly.
What reason does Atticus give the kids for defending Tom Robinson?
He says he wouldn't be able to tell them what to do anymore if he didn't
What is Maycomb's usual disease?
how people "go stark raving mad when anything involving a Negro comes up"
Why is it a sin to kill mockingbirds?
They "don't do anything but make music for us to enjoy"
Who is the woman at First Purchase who is rude to Scout and Jem and says they should go back to their own church?
Why does Calpurnia say she acts and talks differently when she is around African-Americans than when she is around white people?
She says it would be "out of place" for her to talk like white people at church. She doesn't want to seem like she's "puttin' on airs"
Why do Jem and Scout fight shortly after Aunt Alexandra moves in?
Jem tries to tell Scout what to do. He tells her to mind Aunt Alexandra.
What does Atticus say every mob is made up of?
people you know
Why did Dill run away from home?
He says he was bound in the basement because his new father doesn't like him
Who is Miss Stephanie Crawford?
the town gossip
Who is Miss Rachel?
Dill's aunt that he stays with in the summertime
What does Dill dare Jem to do to the Radley house?
Based on Tom's story about what happened that day, what can we assume about how Mayella feels about him?
She has a crush on him
Based on Mayella's testimony, what can we assume about her relationship with her father?
He is abusive
- the prosecuting attorney in Tom's case
- Tom's employer that stood up for him at the trial
- wrote TKAM
- grew up in Alabama
- father was a lawyer
- lives as a recluse
- grew up with Truman Capote, who Dill is based on
Won the Pulitzer Peace Prize
- Jeremy Atticus Finch, better known as Jem.
- Scout's older brother.
- has a protective nature
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Staggs English Exam Vocab
english mid term
odyssey part 2
To kill a mockingbird
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
To Kill A Mockingbird Test Review
To Kill A Mockingbird Test Review
To Kill A Mockingbird review
To Kill A Mockingbird Review
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Colons and Dashes
Fall Week #6
Underline Or Quotation Marks