Create an account
1. Which of the following nutrients taken as a prenatal supplement has been found to be associated with a lower
incidence of neural tube defects?
2. What is the most reliable indicator of an infantʼs future health status?
a.! Infantʼs birthweight
b.! Motherʼs weight before pregnancy
c.! Motherʼs weight gain during pregnancy
d.! Motherʼs nutrition status prior to pregnancy
3. Of the following nutrient needs, which is considered the most difficult to meet during pregnancy, often because
of low body stores?
c.! Vitamin D
d.! Vitamin B6
4. Jane is visiting with her doctor during her 2nd trimester of pregnancy and has just revealed her strange
cravings. The doctor diagnosed that Jane is experiencing pica, which is causing her intense craving for:
5. What is the name of the condition characterized by high blood pressure, edema, and protein in the urine of a
b.! Gestational diabetes
c.! Teratogenic hypertension
d.! Pregnancy-induced blood pressure crisis
6. Which of the following recommendations for pregnant women regarding alcohol intake was issued by the U.S.
a.! Drink absolutely no alcohol
b.! Refrain from drinking hard liquor only
c.! Consume no more than 2 drinks per day
d.! Drink only small amounts of alcohol (1/2 drink) during the first 3 months but none thereafter
a) drink absolutely no alcohol
7. Of the following cereals, which is most likely to result in an allergic reaction upon first feeding?
8. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics breastfeeding of full-term infants is:
b.! mildly recommended.
c.! moderately recommended.
d.! strongly recommended.
d) strongly recommended
9. What is colostrum?
a.! A clot in the bloodstream
b.! A major protein in breast milk
c.! A hormone that promotes milk production
d.! A milk-like substance secreted right after delivery
d) a milk-like substance secreted right after delivery.
10. Breast milk as the sole source of nutrition, up to the first 6 months in healthy infants, is satisfactory for all
b.! vitamin D.
c.! iron and folate.
d.! zinc and vitamin A.
b) vitamin D
11. Which of the following nutrients need to be supplied first by solid foods in a babyʼs diet?
a.! Vitamin C and iron
b.! Vitamin A and zinc
c.! Vitamin B12 and fluoride
d.! Vitamin E and magnesium
a) vitamin c and iron
12. Which of the following is the primary factor in the development of milk anemia?
a.! Impaired absorption of iron
b.! Excessive intake of cowʼs milk
c.! Low iron content of breast milk
d.! Insufficient intake of whole cowʼs milk
b) excessive intake of cow's milk.
13. Vitamin B12 deficiency in the elderly is least likely to occur from:
a.! intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
b.! insufficient intake of vitamin B12.
c.! reduced output of intrinsic factor.
d.! reduced output of hydrochloric acid.
b) insufficient intake of vitamin B12
14. Drink for drink, women will experience higher blood alcohol levels than men because:
a. women absorb alcohol much faster than men.
b. women typically have more body fat which slows the metabolism of alcohol.
c. women have less of an enzyme that breaks down alcohol.
d. womenʼs brains are less tolerant to alcohol.
c) women have less of an enzyme that breaks down alcohol.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together