45% of all ovarian tumors, benign -> fallopian tube epithelial lining - bilateral
Serous cystadenocarcinoma characteristics?
45% of all Ovarian tumors - psammoma bodies - BRCA1,2, and HNPCC association. - bilateral
Ovarian cancer marker?
CA-125 -> not good for screening, only good for monitoring tumor progression
1. Mucous secreting GI like epithelium
1. Mucous secreting malignancy -> pseudomyxoma perotinei -> associated with mucous secreting appendix or ovarian tumors
1. Benign unilateral encapsulated bladder like epithelium that is mostly unilateral.
Granulosa Cell tumor? Kids/Adults? Histology?
Estrogen secreting neoplasm of the granulosa cells -> leading to precocious puberty in kids and endometrial hyperplasia in adults (risk for carcinoma) - Call Exner Bodies present - small follicles filled with eosinophilic secretions.
Fibroma tumor? Triad? sensation?
1. Spindle Shaped fibroblast bundle - Ascites, Ovarian Fibroma, Hydrothorax - Pulling sensation in the pelvis
What is a kruckenberg tumor?
1. GI metastasis -> adenocarcinoma w/ signet ring cells
Clear cell vaginal carcinoma?
1. Associated with intrauterine exposure to DES
What is sarcoma boytroides?
1. Rhabdomyosarcoma variant -> girls <4yrs, spindle shaped tumor cells that are desmin positive (protruding from the vagina)
1. Painless testicular mass presenting in 18-35yr that does not transilluminate w/ lobules of large cells w/ watery cytoplasm and a fried egg appearance --> Awesome prognosis - Placental Alkaline Phosphatase (PLAP) elevated
Choriocarcinoma cell types? Tumor marker? metastasis? Why might it produce gynecomastia?
1. Cytotrophoblast and syncytiotrophoblastic cells 2. hCG elevated (may produce gynecomastia b/c is LH analog -> increased testosterone -> increased peripheral conversion to estrogen via aromatase. 3. Metastasis is hematogenous to the lungs
Teratoma in males? Markers present?
1. Usually malignant (in adults, benign in children) (multiple germ layers) 2. AFP and hCG elevated 50% of the time
Embryonal Carcinoma presentation?
1. Painful mass w/ glandular/papillary morphology - if pure hCG eleated only, hCG + AFP if mixed
3 testicular non-germ cell tumors?
1. Leydig Cell Tumor - golden brown 2. Sertoli Cell Tumor 3. Testicular Lymphoma (Metastatic)
Leydig Cell tumor pathology? Findings in men vs. boys? Color of leydig cell tumor?
1. Reinke Crystals usually producing androgen leading to gynecomastia in men and precocious puberty in boys? Golden brown color
Sertoli cell tumor arises from?
1. sex cord stroma
Testicular lymphoma arises from?
1. Metastasis from lymphoma - usually quite aggressive