Upgrade to remove ads
Biotechnology & Disease Review
Terms in this set (20)
Which field would most likely NOT incorporate biotechnology?
Which agricultural benefit can biotechnology provide?
1. developing plants that are less dependent on the sun for energy
2. developing plants that are less sensitive to variations in environmental temperatures
3. developing plants with inheritable traits unrelated to the genetic material they contain
4. developing plants that will not die
developing plants that are less sensitive to variations in environmental temperatures
Which of the following subjects would someone most likely study if he or she wanted to work in the biotechnology field?
4. Environmental science
_________________ is NOT a common ethical concern related to human cloning.
1. That humans will be created who exist solely as a supply of organs for transplants
2. That clones will be more prone to abnormal development
3. That parents will pay to have a child that is a clone of a famous athlete
4. That cloned humans will have no personality
That humans will be created who exist solely as a supply of organs for transplants
Which of the following careers would a student studying biotechnology most likely pursue?
1. electrical engineering
3. agricultural research
Tigers and households cats are members of the same family; however, their sizes are vastly different. What is the cause of this difference?
1. biochemical makeup
3. behavioral makeup
4. habitat size
What is involved in creating genetically modified bacteria?
1. allowing them to reproduce freely
2. changing their food source
3. using biotechnology techniques
4. growing them on selected plant
using biotechnology techniques
Which process uses a body cell to create a new organism?
3. genetic modification
4. gene splicing
Which of these is not a way in which biotechnology can benefit agriculture?
1. increase crop population
2. reducing the loss of crops to insects
3. producing better-tasting fruits
4. improving farm machinery
mproving farm machinery
Which of these has to do with genetic modification?
2. kidney surgery
3. gene splicing
4. use of herbicides
A genome is
1. part of a chromosome
2. a gene inserted into a chromosome of bacteria
3. a sequence of units in a short DNA
4. The complete sequence of an organism's DNA
The complete sequence of an organism's DNA
Which of these would be a concern about the use of biotechnology?
1. creation of new pathogens
2. making of new vaccines
3. increased opportunities for jobs
4. increased crop yield
creation of new pathogens
_____________________ changes the genetic material of a living organism.
2. Genetic Modification
Genetic engineering is used for all the following EXCEPT 1. medicine
______________uses bacteria to clean up our surrounding.
3. Genetic Modification
Single-celled organisms that have no nucleus
Some are harmful and cause disease
Can cause disease
AIDS -The common cold -The flu
Enters the body in multiple ways:
Enters the body through vectors
Enters the body through contaminated food, soil, and water
An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense
An organism (excluding humans) that spread diseases without showing symptoms - passes the disease onto the other organism • Examples: mosquito, tick, flea, rat, other animals (i.e. rabies
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
"DNA: Playing God" movie
Biotechnology List #1
Unit 2, Lesson 7
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Hydrologic Cycle Review
Political Party Review
3 Branches of Government