5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- class II antiarrhythmics
- catopril, enlapril, perindopril
- a ACE inhibitors (type of RAS inhibitor used in heart failure hypertension and diabetic nephropathy). SEs: hypotension, hyperkalaemia, cough. Reduce TPR, hypertension and increase sodium and water excretion. Contraindicated in pregnancy and renal artery stenosis.
- b a triazole antifungal (targets ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase) - used topically and orally. Penetrates well into brain - used for cryptococcal meningitis
- c Obtained from blood donations. Contains concentrated vWF, given in severe vWD.
- d B blockers used post-MI and for AF e.g. propranolol, atenolol, metoprolol
- e B1 adrenoreceptor agonist sometimes used in heart failure (increased contractility and cardiac output)
5 Multiple choice questions
- Oral iron therapy for iron deficiency anaemia. Continued for 2 - 3 months. SEs: nausea, abdominal cramps, constipation/ diarrhoea
- COMT inhibitors, used alone or with levodopa and DDCIs (prolongs half life of levodopa). Used in PD.
- Centrally acting alpha2 adrenoreceptor agonists (sympathetic inhib). Vasodilatory. Rarely used for hypertension. SEs: sedation, depression, rebound HT on withdrawal
- short acting beta agonists (relievers for asthma).
- Non-selective alpha 1+2 adrenoreceptor blocker in smooth muscle. Vasodilation. Used in phaeochromocytoma (HT due to adrenal tumor) and erectile dysfunction. SEs: first dose syncope, postural hypotension, reflex tachycardia, urinary urgency,
5 True/False questions
clotrimazole → an imidazole antifungal (targets ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase) - only used topically (vaginal/ skin)
carbamazapine → non-azole antifungal that inhibits ergosterol synthese via squalene epoxidase
atenolol, metoprolol → long acting beta agonists (symptom controllers for asthma). contraindicated with antihypertensives.
polyenes → Endothelin (vasoconstrictor) receptor antagonist (mixed ETa and ETb antag, vasodilatory). Not effective in primary hypertension, used in pulmonary hypertension.
bosentan → Endothelin (vasoconstrictor) receptor antagonist (mixed ETa and ETb antag, vasodilatory). Not effective in primary hypertension, used in pulmonary hypertension.