5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- salmeterol, eformoterol
- a PD drug. Precursor to dopa, often used with DDCIs. Main SE: dyskinesia (abnormal involuntary movements).
- b class III antiarrhythmic. adrenergic neurone blocker, prolongs AP.
- c a triazole antifungal (targets ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase) - used topically and orally. Penetrates well into brain - used for cryptococcal meningitis
- d long acting beta agonists (symptom controllers for asthma). contraindicated with antihypertensives.
- e Obtained from blood donations. Contains concentrated vWF, given in severe vWD.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Antihypertensive. Osmotic diuretic, acts on whole nephron. Blocks tubular water resorption and reduces Na+ resorption rate.
- class III antiarrhythmic.non-selective B blocker with class III activity (prolongs AP and refractory period)
- non- cardioselective calcium channel blockers for angina and hypertension (induce vasodilation, decrease afterload and preload), INCREASE HR (reflex)
- Antihypertensive. Renin inhibitor (approved 2007), possibly useful in diabetic nephropathy. SEs: hypotension, hyperkalaemia.
- GABA agonist used for Huntington's disease.
5 True/False questions
griseofulvin → class III antiarrhythmic.non-selective B blocker with class III activity (prolongs AP and refractory period)
aspirin → Antiplatelet. COX inhibitor. Indications: arterial thrombosis (e.g. stroke and MI prevention, post- surgery). Not useful for venous thrombosis.
iron- dextran, iron- sucrose → parenteral iron therapy (IM or IV). Indications: unable to absorbe oral iron in iron deficiency. SEs: fever, arthralgia, nausea, abdominal cramps, vomiting
phentolamine → Non-selective alpha 1+2 adrenoreceptor blocker in smooth muscle. Vasodilation. Used in phaeochromocytoma (HT due to adrenal tumor) and erectile dysfunction. SEs: first dose syncope, postural hypotension, reflex tachycardia, urinary urgency,
amiloride, triamterene → sodium channel blocker potassium sparing diuretics (act on late DCT and collecting tubules). Used with thiazide or loop diuretics to produce diuresis without hypokalaemia, and with thiazides as antihypertensives.