5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- catopril, enlapril, perindopril
- a ACE inhibitors (type of RAS inhibitor used in heart failure hypertension and diabetic nephropathy). SEs: hypotension, hyperkalaemia, cough. Reduce TPR, hypertension and increase sodium and water excretion. Contraindicated in pregnancy and renal artery stenosis.
- b Benzimidazole - antihelmintic for intestinal nematodes e.g. threadworm, hookworm, whipworm, roundworm. Impairs microtubule synthesis.
Pooly absorbed from GIT, few SEs.
- c Iron chelator. For acute iron toxicity or haemachromatosis, forms a complex with ferric iron and is excreted in urine. IM, IV or intragastric.
- d antifungal that disrupts cell membrane synthesis. used in laquer for nails to treat onychomycoses
- e an imidazole antifungal (targets ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase) - only used topically (vaginal/ skin)
5 Multiple choice questions
- Antiepileptic. Use-dependent Na+ blockade. 2nd line for PARTIAL and generalised TONIC-CLONIC seizures. SEs: cyp450 inducer, gum hyperplasia/ acne/ hirsuitism, fetal - affects palate and heart
- Non-selective alpha 1+2 adrenoreceptor blocker in smooth muscle. Vasodilation. Used in phaeochromocytoma (HT due to adrenal tumor) and erectile dysfunction. SEs: first dose syncope, postural hypotension, reflex tachycardia, urinary urgency,
- cardiac glycoside that increases myocardial contractility (by increasing myocardial intracellular calcium) and stimulates vagus nerve (slows AV conduction). used for heart failure and AF. contraindicated with loop and thiazide diuretics and sympathomimetic drugs. narrow safety margin
- Fibrinolytic. Plasminogen activator. Used only in acute thrombotic or embolic stroke.
- class III antiarrhythmic. adrenergic neurone blocker, prolongs AP.
5 True/False questions
diltiazem, verapamil → cardioselective calcium channel blockers (decreased contractility, induce vasodilation) used for angina, hypertension and arrhythmia
warfarin → Anticoagulant, vitamin K antagonist (inhibits factors 2, 7, 9, 10). Indications: PE, DVT (ongoing treatment), unstable angina, AF.
nystatin → class of drugs for angina that increase venous, arteriolar and coronary dilation e.g. isosorbide dinitrate and nitroglycerin (not to be used with viagra)
spironolactone, eplerenome → corticosteroids (preventers for asthma)
tranexamic acid → Antiepileptic. Use-dependent Na+ blockade. 1st line for partial and generalised TONIC-CLONIC seizures. SEs: cyp450 inducer, bone marrow depression
ALSO used as mood stabiliser in acute manic phase of bipolar disorder (particuarly with patients that rapidly cycle through manic depressive phases)