5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a an imidazole antifungal (targets ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase) - only used topically (vaginal/ skin)
- b Antihypertensive. Osmotic diuretic, acts on whole nephron. Blocks tubular water resorption and reduces Na+ resorption rate.
- c Antihypertensive (esp. in emergency) vasodilator (mainly arteriolar). Interferes with IP3 on Ca release from SR.
- d GABA agonist used for Huntington's disease.
- e GM-CSF. Used to treat neutropenia in chemotherapy and after bone marrow transplant.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Antiplatelet. Monoclonal antibody that antagonises GIIb/a receptor on platelets, prevents binding of fibrinogen to platelets. Hospital use only.
- ACE inhibitors (type of RAS inhibitor used in heart failure hypertension and diabetic nephropathy). SEs: hypotension, hyperkalaemia, cough. Reduce TPR, hypertension and increase sodium and water excretion. Contraindicated in pregnancy and renal artery stenosis.
- Vasopressin analogue. Normalises haemostasis in vWD for several hours, used for minor procedures such as dental extraction.
- Iron chelator. For acute iron toxicity or haemachromatosis, forms a complex with ferric iron and is excreted in urine. Orally absorbed, careful monitoring required (risk of agranulocytosis)
- Antiepileptic. Use-dependent Na+ blockade. 2nd line for PARTIAL and generalised TONIC-CLONIC seizures. SEs: cyp450 inducer, gum hyperplasia/ acne/ hirsuitism, fetal - affects palate and heart
5 True/False questions
praziquantel → class of drugs for angina that increase venous, arteriolar and coronary dilation e.g. isosorbide dinitrate and nitroglycerin (not to be used with viagra)
amiodarone → class III antiarrhythmic. prolongs refractory period and slows AV conduction. serious side effects (thyroid, lungs, liver)
minoxidil → Antihypertensive vasodilator (mainly arteriolar). Increases K+ permeability. May also be used as cream for baldness.
isosartan, candsartan → angiotensin AT1 receptor antagonists (type of RAS inhibitor used in heart failure, hypertension and diabetic nephropathy). SEs: hypotension, hyperkalaemia. reduce TPR, hypertension and increase sodium and water excretion. Contraindicated in pregnancy and renal artery stenosis.
filgrastim → polyene antifungal (disrupts cell membrane integrity by binding to ergosterol) only used topically e.g. candida albicans