5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- montelukast, zafirlukast
- iron- dextran, iron- sucrose
- a class III antiarrhythmic. prolongs refractory period and slows AV conduction. serious side effects (thyroid, lungs, liver)
- b Non-selective alpha 1+2 adrenoreceptor blocker in smooth muscle. Vasodilation. Used in phaeochromocytoma (HT due to adrenal tumor) and erectile dysfunction. SEs: first dose syncope, postural hypotension, reflex tachycardia, urinary urgency,
- c parenteral iron therapy (IM or IV). Indications: unable to absorbe oral iron in iron deficiency. SEs: fever, arthralgia, nausea, abdominal cramps, vomiting
- d antifungal that targets nuclear division (inhibits microtubules)
- e leukotriene receptor antagonists (preventers for asthma)
5 Multiple choice questions
- Antiplatelet. Monoclonal antibody that antagonises GIIb/a receptor on platelets, prevents binding of fibrinogen to platelets. Hospital use only.
- mast cell stabilisers (preventers for asthma)
- an imidazole antifungal (targets ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase) - only used topically (vaginal/ skin)
- short term nitrate for angina, given sublingually and transdermally
- class of drugs for angina, reduce oxygen demand by reducing heart rate e.g. atenolol, metoprolol, propanolol
5 True/False questions
sargramostim → GM-CSF. Used to treat neutropenia in chemotherapy and after bone marrow transplant.
baclofen → GABA agonist used for Huntington's disease.
bosentan → Endothelin (vasoconstrictor) receptor antagonist (mixed ETa and ETb antag, vasodilatory). Not effective in primary hypertension, used in pulmonary hypertension.
tinidazole, metronidazole → Antiprotozoal e.g. amoebiasis, giardiasis, trichomoniasis. Also used for some bacterial anaerobes. Nitroimidazoles, interfere with DNA synthesis. e.g. trichomonas vaginalis
polyenes → class of antifungal cell membrane synthesis inhibitors. Target ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase