5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- diltiazem, verapamil
- a an imidazole antifungal (targets ergosterol synthesis via 14-aemethylase) - only used topically (vaginal/ skin)
- b PD drug (mild relief in early stage PD), action unclear.
- c Vitamin B12 deficiency therapy, IM. In pernicious anaemia and with neuroinvolvement, life-long therapy.
- d cardioselective calcium channel blockers (decreased contractility, induce vasodilation) used for angina, hypertension and arrhythmia
- e Non-selective alpha 1+2 adrenoreceptor blocker in smooth muscle. Vasodilation. Used in phaeochromocytoma (HT due to adrenal tumor) and erectile dysfunction. SEs: first dose syncope, postural hypotension, reflex tachycardia, urinary urgency,
5 Multiple choice questions
- Antiepileptic. Use-dependent Na+ blockade. 1st line for partial and generalised TONIC-CLONIC seizures. SEs: cyp450 inducer, bone marrow depression
ALSO used as mood stabiliser in acute manic phase of bipolar disorder (particuarly with patients that rapidly cycle through manic depressive phases)
- class III antiarrhythmic. prolongs refractory period and slows AV conduction. serious side effects (thyroid, lungs, liver)
- Antihelmintic- treatment of intestinal tapeworms (cestodes). Causes tetanic-like contractions in worm muscle by altering calcium permeability, worms detached from host tissue.
- DA antagonist used for Huntington's disease.
- Benzimidazole - antihelmintic for intestinal nematodes e.g. threadworm, hookworm, whipworm, roundworm. Impairs microtubule synthesis.
Absorbed from GIT, drug of choice for mixed intestinal worm infection, also active against some protozoa and cestodes e.g. tissue tapeworms.
5 True/False questions
hydralazine → Antihypertensive (esp. in emergency) vasodilator (mainly arteriolar). Interferes with IP3 on Ca release from SR.
fluticasone, budesonide → DDCIs, used in combination with levodopa in PD.
aliskiren → Antihypertensive. Renin inhibitor (approved 2007), possibly useful in diabetic nephropathy. SEs: hypotension, hyperkalaemia.
iron- dextran, iron- sucrose → angiotensin AT1 receptor antagonists (type of RAS inhibitor used in heart failure, hypertension and diabetic nephropathy). SEs: hypotension, hyperkalaemia. reduce TPR, hypertension and increase sodium and water excretion. Contraindicated in pregnancy and renal artery stenosis.
prazosin, terazosin, tamsulosin → Broad spectrum antihelmintic. Nicotinic agonist (inhibits cholinesterase), causes spastic paralysis of helminths. Poorly absorbed from GIT, few SEs.