1. People differ in abilities, personalities, needs, values, interests, traits, self-concepts
2. People are qualified, by virtue of these characteristics, for a number of occupations
3. Each occupation requires a certain pattern of abilities and personality traits
4. Preferences, competencies, situations and self-concepts change
5. Maxicycle: Growth, exploration, establishment, maintenance, decline. "Minicycle" happens in transitions from one stage to the next or when individual is destabilized.
6. Nature of career pattern is determined by parental socioeconomic level, mental ability, education, skills, personality characteristics, career maturity, opportunities.
7. Success depends on readiness to cope with demands, aka, career maturity
8. Career maturity is a hypothetical construct
9. Development can be guided by helping abilities and interest to mature; reality testing/
development of self-concepts
10. Career development is actually a manifestation of developing and implementing
11. Synthesis between individual and social factors and self-concepts and reality is
experience and feedback.
12. Work-life satisfaction depends on finding outlets for abilities, needs, values, etc.
13. Work-life satisfaction is proportional to implementation of self-concepts
14. Work/occupation provide a focus for personality organization