5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- double speak
- THorton Wilder
- a a short poem, often written by an anonymous author, comprised of short verses intended to be sung
- b language that is meant to be evasive or conceal (downsized = fired loss of job
- c A Long narrative detailing a hero's deeds -- THe Aeneid by virgil, The Illiad and Odyssey by Homer, Beowulf, War and peace by Tolstoy, and Hiawatha by Longfellow
- d Our TOwn
- e Story about human actions that is perceived by both the teller and the listeners --- Irving's The legend of sleepy hollow, King arthur and the holy grail
5 Multiple choice questions
- Jackson's "The Lottery, Irving's "Rip Van WInkle"
- a humorous verse form of five anapestic lines with a rhyme scheme of aabba
- Mark Twain-, London- WHite Fang, Call of the wild, Frost- NOthing godl can stay, THe road not taken, Joyce, T.S. Elliot- THe wasteland
- United States writer who wrote about frontier life (1873-1947), wrote My Antonia; prolific during the 1920s, reputation as one of the most important post-Civil War American authors
- Tennessee Williams. (Drama) Blanche DuBois, fading Southern belle. Nymphomania and alcoholism. French Quarter of New Orleans. Sister Stella, crude Stanley. Pleasure is short. One-way ticket.
5 True/False questions
dangling modifier → dangling modifiers have no noun or pronoun to modify, change the dangling modifier to an independent clause.
hyperbole → an exaggeration of emphasis
Edgar Allen Poe → rhyme that happens within a line of verse
Harriet beecher stowe → Great Expectations
The house on Mango street → A woman growing up in poverty in 1960s Chicago is determined to find her own path in life without forgetting her past.