5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- resources in South America?
- El Nino
- Where is Latin America?
- factors affecting climate?
- a minerals, oil, trees, lumber, fish, coffee, wheat, sugar cane, cotton, rice
- b to add variety or different items
- c warming in ocean waters on the west coast of S. America. Causes floods, droughts, and drives away fish. Felt around the world.
- d 1) elevation 2) location (areas close to the Equator usually warmer than those farther south) 3) wind patterns (sea breezes in Caribbean help keep temperatures down)
- e Western hemisphere; south of United States
5 Multiple choice questions
- coral and underwater mountains. Hispaniola, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and Cuba are underwater mountains. Other, smaller islands are made of coral (skeletons of tine sea animals formed together).
- plants that need less heat and rain ~ potatoes, apples, wheat
- sugar cane, coffee, bananas, cacao, citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, papayas, etc); bauxite (Jamaica), nickel (Cuba, Dominican Republic); oil (Trinidad)
- 1) Mexico and Central America 2) Caribbean 3) South America
- 1) Middle America: lots of minerals 2) Mexico: minerals, oil, natural gas, trees/lumber 3) Central America: coffee, cotton, sugar cane, bananas
5 True/False questions
Amazon River → dense evergreen forest - abundant rainfall year-round; located in Amazon River Basin
vegetation in tropical wet + dry climates? → exotic vegetation that needs hot, humid weather, such as bananas, cacao, sugar cane, rice
Middle America → height of land above sea level
Rain forest → dense evergreen forest - abundant rainfall year-round; located in Amazon River Basin
one-resource economy → a country's economy based almost completely on 1 resource or crop