5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- BCG Matrix
- Control Process: Strategic Control System
- Strategic Mission
- Barriers to Good Decisions
- a An organization's basic purpose and scope of operations.
Clear and concise expression of the organization's basic purpose.
- b Psychological Biases
- c Determining how well one company's compare with another company or set of companies.
Understanding "best practices" of other firms
Take actions to achieve better performance and lower costs
Ford, Corning, Toyota
- d High Growth, Weak Competitive position: Question marks
High Growth, Strong Competitive position: Stars
Low Growth, Weak Competitive position: Dogs
Low Growth, Strong Competitive position: Cash Cows
- e Evaluate progress and take corrective action.
Encourage efficient operations
Adapt to changing conditions.
Includes a budget
5 Multiple choice questions
- corporate strategy moving into new businesses that relate to the original core business.
- BCG Category of Business: high-growth, weak-competitive position businesses require substantial investment to improve their position, or else they should be divested.
- Frontline Managers
identifies specific procedures and processess required to implement - focus is on rutine tasks like production and schedules
- a process planners use, within time and resources constraints, to gather, interpret, and summarize all information relevant to the planning issue under consideration.
Internal forces at work in the organization
Influences from the external environment.
- • Psychological Biases
• Time Pressures:
• Social Realities
5 True/False questions
Six stages to formal decision making → Psychological Biases
Ways groups can hurt → Dominance by one
GROUP THINK - pressure to avoid disagreement - Bad things can happen (Challenger Space Shuttle)
Goal Displacement Lose site of original GOAL
Single Use Plan → Define strategic tasks.
Assess organization capabilities.
Develop an implementation agenda.
Create an implementation plan.
Tactical Planning → Middle Level and Lower Level
translates broad strategic into specific goals and plans relevent to the particular part of the org
Analyze internal strengths and weaknesses → Internal resource analysis
Human resources assessment
Other internal resource analyses