Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (48)
1) Approximately three-fourths of the world's industrial production is concentrated in four regions. Which of the following is not one of these four regions?
Eastern South America
2) The Industrial Revolution began in
3) The Industrial Revolution began in
the late 1700s.
4) Prior to the Industrial Revolution, industry was
5) The cottage industry system involved manufacturing
in the home.
6) The main source of power for steam engines and blast ovens is produced from
7) The most important transportation improvement in the eighteenth century was the
8) The first industries to increase production through extensive use of the steam engine were
textile and iron
10) The United Kingdom expanded industrial production in the late twentieth century
with high-tech industries to serve the European market.
12) Proximity to European consumers is the most significant industrial asset of which region?
13) The growth of manufacturing was retarded in the United States during the nineteenth century primarily because of
distance from markets.
14) Eastern North America was the continent's manufacturing center in part because it had access to the continent's
15) Today, New England's most significant industrial asset is its
skilled but extensive labor force.
16) Today, the most significant industrial asset of the Western Great Lakes region is its
access to the nation's transportation network. B)large market area.
17) Proximity to Russian consumers is the most significant industrial asset of which region?
18) In Russia, the Soviet government promoted new manufacturing regions
in the Urals and Kuznetsk.
19) In order to become a major industrial power, Japan had to overcome which of the following problems?
distance from consumers
20) A copper concentration mill tends to locate near a copper mine because it is a
21) Fabricating plants are examples of bulk-gaining industries because
separate parts are combined to make more complex and massive products.
22) Situation costs are critical to a firm which wishes to
minimize transport costs.
23) The U.S. steel industry moved westward in the nineteenth century primarily because of better access to
24) Among the surviving steel plants in the United States, production concentrated in the southern Lake Michigan area has increased its share of national production, primarily because of access to .
25) Minimills are more likely than integrated steel mills to select locations because of access to
26) Central Europe offers an attractive combination of important
site and situation,less skilled but cheaper labor than Western Europe, and more expensive but much more skilled labor than Asia and Latin America.
27) Producers of automobiles select locations primarily because of access to
28) Since 1980, new U.S. automobile assembly plants have been built in the
Midwest, to minimize national distribution costs.
29) The lowest-cost form of transporting goods very long distances is by
30) A company which uses more than one mode of transport will often locate near
31) Significant site factors include all but which of the following?
32) Beer bottling is an example of a .
33) Compared to other industries, aluminum manufacturers are more likely to locate near sources of
34) Which of these industries is most dependent on low-cost labor?
35) The U.S. Gulf Coast has become an important industrial area because of
access to oil and natural gas.
36) Mexico's maquiladora plants have an advantage of closeness to U.S. markets
but are a bit too far from most U.S. manufacturing facilities for just-in-time delivery.
38) Industrial areas outside North America and Europe have become increasingly important in recent years primarily because of
39) Both Europe and the United States have seen interregional shifts of manufacturing, but one difference is
in Europe, government policies have encouraged relocation.
40) Steel production has declined during the 1980s and 1990s most rapidly in
the United States.
41) What Western European country has experienced the most rapid manufacturing growth since the late twentieth century? A) Denmark
B) Germany C) France
42) The Italian Po river basin
contains half of the country's population, but two-thirds of its industry.
has a key asset in cheaper labor compared to Europe's other industrial regions.
has inexpensive hydroelectricity.
43) What two location factors influence industries to remain in the northeastern United States and northwestern Europe?
skilled labor and rapid delivery to market
44) Spreading parts production and fabrication among many countries and communities
increases large corporations bargaining power with local governments and labor.
45) Why are Asian companies are more successful in the United States than U.S. companies are in Asia?
Asian business executives know more about U.S. culture than U.S. executives know about Asian.
46) Canada's most important industrial area is
the St. Lawrence Valley and Ontario Peninsula.
47) In contrast to fordist production, Post-Fordist production is more likely to
introduce more flexible work rules.
48) What mining region has the most varied mineral deposits of the world, with over 1,000 minerals?
the Ural mountains
49) The new international division of labor reflects the growing importance of
50) The industrial revolution in Europe diffused
from west to east
9) the major contribution made by chemical industry to textile industry was which of these?
Mass production, synthetic from chemicals which more durable, larges textile mills owns by chemical companies
What is the meaning of the Arabic word Sahel?
What is the correlation between migrant workers in Mexico and illegal immigration in the United States?
How did the East German GDR keep from going bankrupt?
China's state television followed reports on social media of people crushed by falling debris in which two cities along the Pearl River near Hong Kong.
Sets found in the same folder
AP Human Geography Chapter 11: Test Review (multip…
ap human geography ch9
APHG Unit 11 Multiple choice
Sets with similar terms
APHG11 - Industrial Revolution
ch 11 Industry
ch 11 Industry
Other sets by this creator
Other Quizlet sets
Final RIP <3
Forensics Mid Term
FINALS FOR ENGLISH
biology test questions