Civil Rights: Set 2
Terms in this set (15)
What was the importance of the 1896 Supreme Court Case Plessy vs. Ferguson?
Plessy vs. Ferguson said segregation is legal
What was the importance of the 1954 Supreme Court Case Brown vs. The Board of Education?
It over-turned Plessy vs. Ferguson which meant that segration was NOT legal. This Supreme Court Case desegregated public schools.
What did Rosa Parks do the help the Civil Rights Movement?
She was an African American women who sat in a white section of the public bus in Montgomery, Alabama challenging the Jim Crow Laws in public transportation.
Who was Martin Luther King?
He was an African American non-violent Civil Rights worker
List four non-violent ways people fought for civil rights?
1. Sit ins
2. Freedom Riders
4. Organized protests
List three effects of segretation in American society?
1. Seperate educational facilities in public schools
2. Seperate public facilities such as drinking fountains, restroom, restaurants, etc.
3. Social Isolation of races
What laws supported racial equality for African Americans during the Civil Rights Movement?
1. The Civil Rights Act of 1964
2. The Voting Rights Act of 1965
What did the Civil Rights ac of 1964 accomplish?
It opened all public accommodations -- hotels, restaurants,
swimming pools -- to all Americans regardless of race, color, .
What did the Voting Rights Act of 1965 accomplish?
1. This law allowed the federal government to manage voter registration and elections in counties that had used tests to determine voter eligibility or where registration or turnout had been less than 50 percent in the 1964 presidential election.
2. It also took away literacy tests and expanded voting rights for non-English speaking Americans.
List two disadvantages women had in the work place?
1. Discrimination in hiring practices
2. Lower wages (pay) for women than men doing the same job
What helped improve women's conditions against discrimination?
2. Feferal Legislation
What does NOW stand for?
National Organization for Women
What Federal Legislation was passed that helped women gain equal athletic opportunities?
Title IX (9)
What was the Equal Rights Amendment?
It provided equal opportunities in employment in business ad public practice
What is unique about the Equal Rights Amendment?
It did not pass but it had a major impact in women earning more opportunities in businesses.