Upgrade to remove ads
hidden figures vocabulary chapters 1-12
Terms in this set (40)
1. complete destruction or obliteration. 2. the conversion of matter into energy, especially the mutual conversion of a particle and an antiparticle into electromagnetic radiation.
1. containing large numbers or amounts of someone or something. 2. covered or flooded with water, especially seawater or rain. 3. level with the surface of water, especially the sea, so that it just washes over.
a town undergoing rapid growth due to sudden prosperity.
1. A family of young animals, especially of a bird, produced at one hatching or birth. 2. think deeply about something that makes one unhappy. 3. (of a bird) sit on (eggs) to hatch them. 4. (of an animal) kept to be used for breeding.
1. compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others. 2. a divinely conferred power or talent.
1. find a way around (an obstacle). 2. overcome (a problem or difficulty) , typically in a clever and surreptitious way. 3. deceive; outwit.
Contract or cause to contract into wrinkles or folds
1. neatly skillful and quick in one's movements 2. demonstrating skill and cleverness.
a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something
1. give an unofficial name or nickname to (someone or something). 2. dress ( an artificial fishing fly) with stands of fur or wool or other material.
1. a tangible or visible form of an idea, quality, or feeling. 2. the representation or an expression of something in a tangible or visible form.
1. intricate and refined delicacy 2. (in bridge and whist) an attempt to win or trick with a card that is not a certain winner. 3. do (something) in a subtle and delicate manner. 4. (in bridge and whist) play (a card that is not a certain winner) in the hope of winning a trick with it.
plant leaves, collectively.
1. a person, usual a boy more young man, who is very tall and thin and moves awkwardly. 2. thin or slender.
1. a fence or boundary formed by closely growing bushes or shrubs. 2. surround or boy me with a hedge. 3. limit or qualify (something) by conditions or exceptions.
1. a tiller or wheel and and associated equipment for steering a ship or a boat. 2. street (a boat or a ship.
1. (of an appetite or desire) impossible to satisfy. 2.(of a person) having an insatiable appetite or desire for something., especially sex.
1. traveling from place to place 2. a person who travels from place to place.
1. a dish of sweetened and flavored curds of milk, often served with fruit. 2. an extravagant trip or celebration, in particular one enjoyed by a government official at public expense.
a fastener used to prevent a wheel or other part from sliding off the axle upon which it is riding.
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person. 2. an unbranded calf or yearling. 3. unorthodox
a mixture; a medley
a letter, especially a long or official one.
subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty, and typically not admitting of a final decision. 2. raise (a question or topic) for discussion; suggest (an idea or possibility) 3. an assembly held for debate, especially in Anglo-Saxon medieval times 3. a mock trial set up to examine a hypothetical case as an academic exercise.
1. dull, tedious, and repetitious; lacking in variety and interest. 2. (of a sound or utterance) lacking in variation in tone 0r pitch.
the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.
to carry out or commit (a harmful, illegal, or immoral action)
1. dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theatrical considerations. 2. replaying to philosophical or political pragmatism. 3. relating to pragmatics.
inspiring respect and admiration; having high status.
1. prove more powerful than opposing forces; be victorious. 2. be widespread in a particular area at a particular time; be current. 3. persuade (someone) to do something.
1. the action of obtaining or procuring something. 2. the action or occupation of acquiring military equipment and supplies.
1. remarkably or impressively great in extent, size, or degree. 2. unnatural, or abnormal.
(especially of a house or vehicle) in a state of severe disrepair
1. say something in answer to a remark or accusation, typically in a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive manner. 2. repay (an insult or injury) 3. a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive reply to a remark.
the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way
the undermining of the power and authority of am established system or institution.
1. work hard over a period of time. 2. hit forcefully and typically wildly, especially in boxing. 3. a spell of difficult, tiring work or travelin.
1. reject with disdain or contempt. 2. an act of spurning
the undermining of the power and authority of an established system or institution.
having a rising and falling motion or appearance like that of waves, undulating.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
hidden figures chapter 13-17
hidden figures chapter 18-23 vocab
AP Lang Vocab #!
AP Lang terms
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Manhattan GRE Advanced 1/10
New Words 3.3
Creekside Vocab A-5 51~100
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
AP Lit Vocab terms #81-100
Chapter 7 Momentum and Impulse Matching - Physics
Units 22-26ish Psych Test study guide
AP Lit Vocab #61-80