WordMasters Grade 7 Blue Division, 2012 Set 3
Terms in this set (25)
1. Military . a heavy barrier of artillery fire to protect one's own advancing or retreating troops or to stop the advance of enemy troops.
2. an overwhelming quantity or explosion, as of words, blows, or criticisms: a _____ of questions.
3. Civil Engineering . an artificial obstruction in a watercourse to increase the depth of the water, facilitate irrigation, etc.
4. to subject to a _______.
1. to wrap with something to deaden or prevent sound: to ______ drums.
2. to deaden (sound) by wrappings or other means.
3. to wrap or envelop in a cloak, shawl, coat, etc., especially to keep warm or protect the face and neck (often followed by up)
4. to alter temporarily the profile of (a plaster mold) in order to run a base coat of plaster that will later be covered by a finish coat having the true profile.
5. something that ______s.
6. an oven or arched chamber in a furnace or kiln, used for heating substances without direct contact with the fire.
1. evaporating rapidly; passing off readily in the form of vapor: Acetone is a ________ solvent.
2. tending or threatening to break out into open violence; explosive: a ________ political situation.
3. changeable; mercurial; flighty: a ________ disposition.
4. (of prices, values, etc.) tending to fluctuate sharply and regularly: _______ market conditions.
5. fleeting; transient: _______ beauty.
6. able to fly or flying.
7. a ________ substance, as a gas or solvent.
1. a lofty nest of any large bird.
2. a house, fortress, or the like, located high on a hill or mountain.
1. to go or move away; retreat; go to or toward a more distant point; withdraw.
2. to slope backward: a chin that _______s.
3. to draw back or withdraw from a conclusion, viewpoint, undertaking, promise, etc.
1. having no inherent power of action, motion, or resistance ( opposed to active ): _____ matter.
2. Chemistry . having little or no ability to react
3. inactive or sluggish by habit or nature.
1. a person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual.
2. a person who maintains a doubting attitude, as toward values, plans, statements, or the character of others.
3. a person who doubts the truth of a religion, especially Christianity, or of important elements of it.
4. any later thinker who doubts or questions the possibility of real knowledge of any kind.
5. pertaining to _______s or _______ism; _______al.
1. to stir, encourage, or urge on; stimulate or prompt to action: to ______ a crowd to riot.
1. kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense: a ________ price.
2. mediocre, fair, calm or mild
3. (usually initial capital letter) a member of a political party advocating ________ reform.
4. to reduce the excessiveness of; make less violent, severe, intense, or rigorous: to ________ the sharpness of one's words.
5. to preside over or at (a public forum, meeting, discussion, etc.).
1. a military unit having its own headquarters and consisting of two or more regiments, squadrons, groups, or battalions.
2. a group of individuals organized for a particular purpose: a fire _______; a rescue _______
3. History/Historical . a convoy of canoes, sleds, wagons, or pack animals, especially as used to supply trappers in the 18th- and 19th-century Canadian and U.S. fur trade.
4. to form into a ______.
1. to make milder or less severe; to soothe, calm, or mollify; relieve; ease; mitigate: to _______ one's grief; to _______ one's pain.
2. to appease; satisfy; allay; relieve: to _______ one's hunger.
1. a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion, politics, etc.
2. filled with or expressing excessive zeal
1. great warmth of feeling; fervor; passion: She spoke persuasively and with _____.
2. intense devotion, eagerness, or enthusiasm; zeal: his well-known _____ for Chinese art.
3. burning heat.
1. to envy or resent the pleasure or good fortune of (someone): She _______d her friend the award.
2. to be reluctant to give, grant, or allow: She did not ________ the money spent on her children's education.
1. frivolously disrespectful, shallow, or lacking in seriousness; characterized by levity: The audience was shocked by his ________ remarks about patriotism.
2. Archaic. glib; voluble, talkative.
1. a facial expression, often ugly or contorted, that indicates disapproval, pain, etc.
2. to make _______s.
1. to criticize or reprimand severely.
2. to punish in order to correct.
1. ardently active, devoted, or diligent; full of, characterized by, or due to zeal.
1. a small, narrow, secluded valley.
1. to soften in feeling or temper, as a person; pacify; appease.
1. capable of burning, corroding, or destroying living tissue.
2. severely critical or sarcastic: a _______ remark.
3. a _______ substance.
4. Optics. a _______ curve of surface
1. a hole or tunnel in the ground made by a rabbit, fox, or similar animal for habitation and refuge.
2. a place of retreat; shelter or refuge.
verb (used without object)
3. to make a hole or passage in, into, or under something.
4. to lodge in a ______, to hide.
5. to proceed by or as if by digging.
1. to put an end to the activities of (a person, body of persons, etc.): to _______ the Communist party.
2. to put down by authority or force; abolish; stop (a practice, custom, etc.).
3. to keep in or repress (a feeling, smile, groan, etc.).
4. to withhold from disclosure or publication (truth, evidence, a book, names, etc.).
5. to stop or arrest (a flow, hemorrhage, cough, etc.).
6. to vanquish or subdue (a revolt, rebellion, etc.); quell; crush.
1. intended to entrap or beguile: an _________ plan.
2. stealthily treacherous or deceitful: an _________ enemy.
3. operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect: an _________ disease.
1. an open space in a forest.