Upgrade to remove ads
Dallas Police Academy
Terms in this set (25)
Penal Code Violations:
• UUMV - 31.07
• Insurance Fraud Case - 35.02
• Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity
• Increases Based on Value
• Theft - 31.03
o $1500-$20K = FSJ
o $20K-$100K = F3
• Joy Riding Juveniles
• Transportation Thieves
• Use in Crime Thieves
• Insurance Fraud Swindlers
• Strippers and Dismantlers
• Professional Auto Thieves
Gray Market Vehicle
• Foreign Made Vehicles
• Not to be Sold in USA
• VINs ARE DIFFERENT
• Primarily this is a German Made Vehicle
VIN Year Code is the ____ character.
1980 = ____, 1981 = ____, ....2000 = ____, 2001 = _____, ..... 2010 = _____
Rivets should have ________ head - six sided.
Identifying a VIN Switch
• Check registration
• Look at the door locks
• Check the VIN plate
• Look for the Nader sticker
• Look at the steering column
• Ask how long he has had the vehicle and if it had ever been stolen
Stolen Vehicle Affidavit Process
• Implemented May 2007
• Complainant required to complete and sign affidavit
• Refusal to sign/initial = NO OFFENSE REPORT
• Officer sign and forward to Auto Theft
• False report cases are being filed based on this affidavit
Keys left in Vehicle
• 2-3 offenses per day
• Violation of Dallas City Code 28-76.5
o "A person commits an offense if he stops, stands, or parks a motor vehicle and leaves it unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key form the ignition, effectively setting the brake on the vehicle ...."
Rental Car Problems
• Theft of Service
• ID Theft
Arrest report is NOT a ___________
• How was suspect identified
• Arrest report is NOT a recovery supplement
• Column broken? Keys?
• Condition of vehicle-motor, transmission, license plates, VIN plate missing?
• Who confirmed vehicle as stolen?
• Always check that VIN matches registration/license plates/registration sticker.
Auto Theft has a National average ____% clearance rate. Dallas has an average of ___% clearance rate, but rising.
Auto Theft cases have been traditionally difficult to prosecute because:
o Lack of credible witnesses
o Complainant only interested in getting car back
At least half of all Auto Thefts are ________!
examples: Drug rentals, Prostitution, Boyfriend/girlfriend, Civil matters like Repossessions or Failure to Pay, Loaned vehicle, Keys left in vehicle.
The Dallas DA must be able to prove that the offender knew ___________________ in order to prove UUMV
that the vehicle was stolen
Normally will not accept cases involving _________ in stolen vehicles
Prosecution of cases is aided by being able to articulate what kind of information in offense reports?
o Broken steering column
o Listed as suspect on original offenses report
o Fleeing in or from the stolen vehicle
o A/P statements
o Attempts to conceal the identity of the vehicle
Probable Cause of Stolen Vehicle
• Is the steering column broken?
• Does the key actually work?
• Is the VIN plate fastened correctly?
• What position is the key in when the car is running?
Detection of Stolen Vehicles
• Broken glass - signs of forced entry
• Driver unfamiliar with the vehicle
• Evidence of stripping of vehicles in location can very
• Damage to interior of vehicle
Investigating Auto Thefts
• Need complainant information
• Vehicle information
• Determine the legal owner
• Premises where vehicle was stolen
o Rental car or registered owner
Street Thieves Safety Info
• Sometimes carry weapons
• Steal vehicle for money or drugs
• Most dangerous thieves
• Reckless - cause wrecks of chases to avoid being caught
Stolen Vehicle Clues
• Damage/broken glass, doors, locks, etc..
• Column broken
o Get explanation from driver
• Stripped parts
o Seats missing, radio missing, etc..
Clues to Drivers or Thieves of Stolen Vehicles
• Do occupants fit vehicle?
• Is the driver overdriving the vehicle when seeing police or are there racing/speeding complaints or calls in the area?
• Driver is unfamiliar with vehicle when stopped along with other information, time of day, registration not matching, etc.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
220 Traffic Function - 2018
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
interviews and Interrogations
Narcotic Penalty Chart Overview
Criminal Investigation APD
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Identity Crimes APD
Family Code & Juvenile Justice