Enviro Ed Test - Spiders, Chiggers, etc
Terms in this set (27)
head, thorax, and abdomen
3 body segments
egg, larva, pupa, and adult
egg, larva, (nymph), and adult
- 8 legs with no antennae
- 2 body parts: Cephalothorax and abdomen
Describe an arachnid.
- 2.5 (million)
_____ spiders per acre in woods.
_____ million per grassland acre.
the "lightning bolt" that appears in a (argiope) web
- One of the most venomous spiders in KS
- Has necrotizing venom that kills flesh
Describe a brown recluse.
- Venomous spider found in KS
- Most venomous in North America
- Has a neurotoxin which will "attack" nerve cells
Describe a black widow.
incomplete (eggs, larva, nymph, and adult)
Spiders, chiggers, oak mites, and ticks all go through _____ metamorphosis
"drinking straw" type structure that is formed when a chigger spits their saliva into your skin (also the reason why you itch)
- Feed on the larva of small flies
- 4 hours on your body before they bite
- Forms a crusty brown shell on the edge of an oak leaf
Describe an oak mite.
Will normal repellents work on oak mites???
tularemia and alpha-gal
Lone star tick diseases:
Rocky Mt. Spotted fever and tularemia
Dog tick diseases:
Lyme disease, anaplasmosis, and babeiosis
Deer tick diseases:
- Rash that looks like a bullseye
- Multiple lesions
Lyme disease symptoms:
- high fever and chills
- severe head and muscle aches
- nausea and vomiting
Rocky Mt. Spotted fever symptoms:
- very contagious!
- skin ulcers
- chills and headache
- Cannot eat red meat
It takes more than _____ hours to trasmit bacteria into your skin after a tick has bitten you.
- Use tweezers
- Get as close to the head as possible
How to remove a tick:
What is the sticky yellow oil found on poison ivy that causes the rashes?
- Top leaf has two notches or "thunbs"
- Two bottom leaves have only one notch or "thumb"
- Can also have creamy white/light green berries
Describe poison ivy.
1. Woody stemmed shrub
2. Vine or stem that runs along ground
3. Climbing vine that attaches to trees, walls, and fences
3 basic forms of poison ivy:
Wash body immediately with _____ water when you have come in contact with poison ivy.
The poison ivy rash will appear _____ hours after contact.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Alphabet English Vocabulary
Vet Tech - Parasites
Combo with "Parasit - Insecta - Flies" and 1 other
VTA 130 Mycology/ Ectoparasites
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
AP Gov Important Documents (FRQ)
AP Psych Q4 Cumulative
AP Psych Social Test
AP Macro Unit 6
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Energy Study Guide
Herbs, Tomatoes, Peppers, Plugs, Seed and Soil Study Guide
Pollution and Bedding Plant of the Day