5 Written questions
3 Matching questions
- a Where are the renal pyramids located within the kidney?
- b Sympathetic nervous system influences on glomerular filtration rate are considered ________ controls.
- c Which is not correct regarding nephrons?
The renal corpuscle includes the glomerulus and the glomerular capsule.
The renal tubule is composed of the proximal convoluted tubule, nephron loop, and distal convoluted tubule.
The nephron is the functional filtration unit in the kidney.
Eighty-five percent of nephrons are cortical nephrons.
The renal corpuscle may be located in the renal cortex or renal medulla.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The myogenic mechanism of autoregulation that occurs within afferent arterioles of the kidney is an __________ control of GFR.
- Granular cells synthesize and release the enzyme:
- The largest possible amount of a substance that can be reabsorbed or secreted across a kidney tubule wall in a given duration of time is known as the:
glomerular filtration rate.
net filtration pressure.
renal clearance exponent.
- The juxtaglomerular apparatus is located:
within the renal sinus.
in the renal papilla.
in the perinephric fat.
inside the tubular pole of the glomerulus.
near the vascular pole of the renal corpuscle.
- The main parts of the juxtaglomerular apparatus are the:
principal cells and macula densa.
granular cells and macula densa.
granular cells and intercalated cells.
intercalated cells and principal cells.
principal cells and granular cells.
5 True/False questions
a → Water and glucose are freely filtered through the filtration membrane of a renal corpuscle.
c → ANP is a hormone that causes:
constriction of the afferent arterioles and release of renin.
constriction of the afferent arterioles and inhibition of renin release.
dilation of the afferent arterioles and release of renin.
dilation of the afferent arterioles and inhibition of renin release.
d → Which is not correct regarding the innervation of the kidney?
Parasympathetic innervation is from the vagus nerve.
The kidney is served by the renal plexus.
Sympathetic innervation is from segments T10-T12 of the spinal cord.
Sympathetic stimulation causes vasoconstriction of the renal blood vessels.
Parasympathetic stimulation decreases the rate of filtrate formation.
b → Parathyroid hormone (PTH):
stimulates reabsorption of both calcium and phosphate.
stimulates reabsorption of calcium but inhibits phosphate reabsorption.
inhibits reabsorption of calcium but stimulates phosphate reabsorption.
inhibits reabsorption of both calcium and phosphate.
c → Macula densa cells monitor the concentration of:
glucose in the blood.
antidiuretic hormone in the urine.
sodium chloride in the fluid within the distal convoluted tubule.
calcium in the fluid of the proximal convoluted tubule.
aldosterone in the afferent arteriole.