Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Arts and Humanities
History of the Americas
Reconstruction Study Guide
Terms in this set (30)
Government agency that provided necessities to free slaves.
pay to vote
Literacy Test for voting
If you couldn't read you couldn't vote
allowed people to vote if their father or grandfather had voted before Reconstruction
Tenant farmer who provides the labor for percentage of the crop
Southern laws designed to restrict the rights of the newly freed black slaves
Jim Crow Laws
Laws designed to enforce segregation of blacks from whites
A Northerner who moved to the South after the Civil War
Southern whites who supported Republican policy through reconstruction
African Americans who moved from post reconstruction South to Kansas.
Anything written down right then and there
An account produced after an event by people not present
Which Constitutional Amendment outlawed slavery in the United States?
2. Which Constitutional Amendment makes anyone born in the U.S. a citizen and guaranteed due process rights to all Americans?
3. Which Constitutional Amendment guaranteed the right to vote to anyone regardless of color or race?
4. Did President Johnson veto the Freedman's Bureau? Yes or No
5. Abraham Lincoln's plan for Reconstruction was called the 10% Plan. True or False
What did President Lincoln want to do with former Confederate Soldiers after the war?
He sent them home.
How did President Lincoln plan for former Confederate States to be readmitted to the United States?
What happened to President Lincoln that did not allow him to implement his 10% plan?
He got assassinated
6. President Johnson vetoed several Republican bills aimed at providing protection and help to former slaves, is this a legal right as part of governmental checks and balances or was this an illegal abuse of power. Give a short explanation.
Its legal because congress would just have to vote again and get a high vote on it to pass it.
7. The Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871 attempted to stop the KKK in the South. What steps did the Act take to stop the KKK?
They made it illegal for KKK to do certain things
Why was the act declared unconstitutional?
Because of free speech
8. a. Who was the first President to be impeached by Congress?
b. What law or laws was he accused of breaking?
c. What was the outcome of the impeachment trial?
Accused of breaking the tenure of office act.
He was voted not guilty, and the act was voted unconstitutional.
9. How did the KKK use violence and intimidation in the South to deny black Americans their economic, social, and political rights?
They basically beat them into submission
10. Which states did Exodusters mainly migrate too?
11. The Civil Rights Act of 1875 made it a crime to deny what to an individual simply based on the color of their skin?
b. Why was the Act unsuccessful?
Full and equal use on Public Transportation
12. How did the Panic of 1873 contribute to the end of Reconstruction?
Everyone was so worried about their bank accounts they stopped worrying about everyone else.
13. Whose election in 1877 helped bring about an end to Reconstruction?
a. What was the compromise he struck with Southern Democrats for their support in his quest to become President? Give a short description
The election of President Rutherford Hayes.
They would take the troops out of the south if Rutherford could become president.
14. Homer Plessy attempted to challenge segregation laws by sitting in "black only" seating on public transportation. In the Supreme Court case in Plessy v. Ferguson the court ruled that "separate but equal" was legal. What did "separate but equal" mean for black Americans in the South?
It meant that as long as there was a chair for both races they were considered equal.
Students also viewed
Changing Society Vocab
Unit 1- Concept 1
Other sets by this creator
Study Guide EOC Advanced Government
Legislative Branch Part 2 Terms
Legislative Branch HyperDoc
Recommended textbook solutions
Social Studies American History: Reconstruction to the Present Guided Reading Workbook
HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT
American Anthem: Modern American History
Deborah Gray White, Edward L. Ayers, Jesús F. de la Teja, Robert D. Schulzinger
Gerald A. Danzer, J. Jorge Klor de Alva, Larry S. Krieger, Louis E. Wilson, Nancy Woloch
Other Quizlet sets
Microbiology Test #2
Chapter 10 Capillary Puncture Equipment & Procedur…