Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (14)
1) When a company makes a donation for each purchase made
2) sometimes requires consumers to send in packaging or enter codes on a website
3) social networking sometimes involved
4) companies spend close to a billion dollars on cause related marketing
5) corporate giving is a very fast growing and prevalent practice
Corporation sponsoring non-profit organizations
1) corpoprations try to make a profit, non-profits don't which is a clear conflict of interest
2) some companies give to environmental charities but destroy the environment with their products
3) Are these partnerships used to get a responsibility glow that distracts from their actions that are actually detrimental?
How can a corporation sponsoring a non-profit misrepresent them?
Like breast cancer gets a lot of attention but heart disease is a way bigger problem in women
- do companies that produce risk relevant products shift the focus to a cure rather than finding environmental causes for disease?
- Don't know how much is being given, what charity is it being given to.
-Can lead to the deception of the consumer
How Does Marketing affect Food Consumption
-Affects everyone, even if you think it doesnt
-represents an enormous amount of money
Most marketed foods
Restaurant foods and carbonated beverages
Least marketed foods
Fruits and vegetables
1) stealth marketing
2) guerilla marketing
3) viral marketing
Marketing to Children
1) counting with twizzlers, math with m&m's
2) Brand placements in movies - Iron Man 2 movie makers made 100 mill in product placement
3) 70% of top movies feature food and beverage brands marketed in the movie (mainly sugary bevs and candy/snacks
4) Top youth oriented websites - pizzahut.com, dominos.com, mcdonalds.com (websites are cheaper for marketing than TV ads
Cognitive defenses to marketing
companies are aware of our psychological defenses to ignore commercials so they pay tons of money for product placement that is sneakier - ads on the sides of websites, facebook
Template for marketing food
presenting the image of fun and family, not about "our burger is better than theirs"
Marketing to men
revolves around not being told what to do and making their own decisions - don't need messages to tell me what to do...incorrigible
What other countries marketing laws are
Quebec and UK outlaw marketing to children, children aren't old enough to understand the marketing intent so so these are inherently exploitative - diets in Quebec were better than the rest of Canada
- Harder to monitor when lots of the media come from outside the country
What impact does food marketing have?
Food marketing is effective through awareness, attitutdes, preferences and purchase (AAPP)
Healthy cereal companies don't market to children but unhealthy ones do
People eat beyond the point where they are hungry when eating sugary processed foods, so companies that own helathy and unealthy cereal brands will market the unhealthy ones because those will be eaten more.
Sets with similar terms
Chapter 6, 7, 8 and 9: Unit 3: Outcome 2 (FS)
Other sets by this creator
Reliability & Validity
Threats to Construct Validity
Ekman's 6 part definition of emotion