5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- vestigial structures
- adaptive radiation
- a The male reproductive organ of the flower, consisting of an anther and filament.
- b The evolutionary process by which ancestral forms of an organism are diversified through adaptation to new environments.
- c A rigid, chitinous protective structure that surrounds the bodies of arthropods and provides support.
- d Long-term growth of a plant toward or away from a stimulus.
- e Bodily structures that developed in the past but no longer serve any function for an organism.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The liquid that carries nutrients and oxygen to the cells and carries carbon dioxide and nitrogenous wastes away. The liquid fluid of blood is called plasma. Red blood cells contain hemoglobin, an iron-containing protein that binds oxygen. White blood cells fight disease. Platelets clot to prevent extreme blood loss resulting from injury.
- Asexual reproductive process in which a small portion of the cell membrane and cytoplasm receive a nucleus and pinch off from the parent cell.
- An outgrowth of a plant root that provides an increased surface area for the absorption of water and dissolved minerals from the soil.
- A diploid plant or plant structure that produces haploid spores through meiosis.
- The largest artery in the body; carries oxygenated blood from the left ventricle of the heart.
5 True/False questions
bryophyte → A lower terrestrial plant (often a moss or liverwort) that lacks a vascular system and is dependent on environmental moisture for reproductive and nutritive functions.
kidney → A particular geographic area with a common climate and characteristic plant and animal life. There are six major terrestrial biomes and two aquatic biomes. The six terrestrial biomes are tropical rain forest, savanna, desert, temperate deciduous forest, taiga, and tundra. The two aquatic biomes are marine and freshwater. Each biome is characterized by specific climax communities.
Malpighian tubules → Bodily structures that developed in the past but no longer serve any function for an organism.
endocytosism → Process by which molecules are secreted from the cell. Exocytosis occurs when a vesicle fuses with the cell membrane and releases its contents to the outside.
excretory system → Process by which molecules are secreted from the cell. Exocytosis occurs when a vesicle fuses with the cell membrane and releases its contents to the outside.