Create an account
What is the major characteristic of the Episcopal form of church government?
Recognizes bishops as the primary leader and human source of authority placing a high degree of authority in the leaders whether in the office or in the person who is leader. pg. 660-661
Why should this form of church government be rejected?
The Episcopal form of church governent structure of oversight is not found in the New Testament even though the word bishop is found there. pg. 661
What is the major characteristic of the Representative form of church government?
Based upon rule of the church by presbyters, presbuteros = elders; administrative authority in the local church usually resides in a committee of elders; not in the office of the pastor of the local church bishop or with the congregation. pg. 660-661
Why should this form of church government be rejected?
Representative form of church government is weak because it does not allow for the simple divinely-given system of independent, self-governing churches reflected in the Bible where the authority of a local congregation is centered in the people. pg. 661
By what principle is the Congregational form of church government based?
Congregational form of church government is based on ultimate authority in all matters of faith and practice resides in the congregation of each local church; pg 660-662
Understand that as a solution, the New Testament seems to reflect aspects of all three of the above stated forms of church government. In what ways is this so?
1.Churches seem to have one leader of spokesman
2.A council or group of men who represented the wisdom and the desires of the congregation called deacons or elders
3.The congregation seemed to be the final seat of authority pg. 662
Know the reasons listed in the textbook why the church can be described as independent and indigenous
Know the reasons listed in the textbook why local churches should be in fellowship and cooperation with one another.
1.Any cooperative effort must always be subservient to the efforts of the local churches
2.Churches should work together for growth in God's work
3.Churches should recognize and support one another so that they reflect the unity for which Christ prayed and of which Paul commanded
4.Churches can cooperate for recognition of leaders
5.Churches should cooperate in times of trial and persecution
6.Churches should cooperate to increase the vision of all Christians
7.Churches should fellowship for the sake of identification
In regards to organizational authority in the local church, can it be said that democratic vote is always the best means to decision-making?
No. pg. 676
What are the four conditions stated to receive a person into church membership?
What should be the doctrinal knowledge of a candidate for church membership?
The basis of church membership should be the essentials of Christianity
To what does water baptism identify the believer?
Water baptism identifies believers with the local body which is a NT church, pg. 678
Why is this important in reference to church membership?
symbolism is a major reason to require water baptism before church membership pg. 678
What is the measuring line for determining if a particular sin should exclude a prospective member from being accepted into church membership?
Any sin that is a matter for 'church discipline' would be a sin that would exclude a new Christian from church membership. pg. 680-681
Are there biblical examples where the terms "elder" and "bishop" are used interchangeably?
Yes. pg. 685
Note that the descriptive title of "shepherd" denotes the pastor's role in leading the church, feeding the church, and tending the church.
Shepherd" denotes the pastor's role in leading the church, feeding the church, and tending the church.
According to Strong, what is "ordination" as applied to pastors?
Ordination is the setting a part of a person divinely called to a work of special ministration in the church.
Be familiar with the duties of a deacon as listed in the textbook.
1.Deasons are responsibile for routine labors in the church
2.Deacons smoothed relationships between groups in the church and between the pastors and people
3.Deacons are spiritually mature because any service for God must be Spirit-guided
4. Deacons are sought by wise pastors who will seek the counsel and cooperation of deacons in guiding the church in its programs of worship, education, and evangelism
5.Deacons may have to serve in spiritual leadership
Be familiar with the qualifications of bishops and deacons as listed in the textbook.
1. withoug reproach
2. husband of one wife
4. not bawler or striker
5. no lover of money
6. good ruler of his house
7. not a novice
10. given to hospitality
12. not contentious
13. of good reputation
14. able to teach
2. husban of one wife
4. not given to wine
5. not greedy for money
6. good ruler of his house
7. of proven ability as servant
8. not double-tongued
What is the definition of the Greek word from which we get our English word "baptism?"
How does the symbolism of baptism demand the mode of immersion?
Symbolizes the believer's identification into the communion of Christ's death, burial and resurrection, his regeneration through union with Christ
Be familiar with the arguments against understanding "water baptism" as sprinkling.
1. Baptism means immerse = Greek - immerse to dip or plunge an object into water
2. Strongest argument because as a verb baptize with prepositions implies immersion
3. No church has the right modify or dispense with this command of Christ
4.Symbolism of baptism demands immersion
Be familiar with some of the listed reasons why (and how) the Lord's Table (Lord's Supper, Communion) is such an abused and misinterpreted aspect of doctrine.
1. The whole church is required to drink from one cup as opposed to an individual cup for each partaker
2. Some insist on using fermented wine.
3. In some churches, the elders take the Lord's Table first and pass it to the younger (congregation)
4. In some churches foot-washing accompanies or is part of communion
5. There is confusion on how to dispose of the elements
6. Some believe that only unleavened bread should be used
7. Some churches practice the love feast supper before the Lord's Table
8. Some practice kissing at the Lord's Supper
9. Another question is whether one should be served in the pew or have a minister place wafer on the tongue after going forward to the church altar
10. The biggest question occurs over how often one should take the Lord's Supper.
11. Some groups such as the Salvation Army, reject baptism and the Lord's Table altogether
What outward symbols does the Lord's Supper communicate? (A list is provided in the textbook.)
1. The death of Christ to forgive our sins
2. Personal appropriation of peace and joy that comes from the forgiveness of sin
3. Through union with Christ Himself we have life
4. Continuous dependence of the believer upon the once crucified now living Savior
5. Sanctification of the Christian based upon identification with the death of resurrection of the Lord
6. The union of Christians together in Christ
7. Coming anticipation of going to be with Christ at death or "till he comes"
Is the Lord's Table for believers only, or can the "seeking lost" also participate?
Be able to differentiate between open communion and closed communion.
1. all Christians in good fellowship with Christ should have access to the Table of the Lord, i
2. it is the Lord's Table not a denominational table,
3. individual basis not institution-centered Christianity
1. only members in good standing should have access to the Lord's Table at that church,
2. church decides who can participate therefore using the Lord's Table for disciplinary action
3. church responsible to know who is walking with God and therefore responsible to close communion to outsiders and allow only those in fellowship with Christ to partake
4. only for fellowship among believers in local church
5. close to ensure correct baptism and/or church testimony
6. closed communion brings power to their church a pure/clean table will please God and grant His blessing
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together