5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Topsoil Loss
- Modern Architecture
- Action Space
- a The process that results from suburbanization when affluent individuals leave the city center for homogenous suburban neighborhoods. This process isolates those individuals who cannot afford to consider relocating to suburban neighborhoods and must remain in certain pockets of the central city.
- b The geographical area that contains the space an individual interacts with on a daily basis
- c Point of view, wherein cities and buildings are thought to act like well-oiled machines, with little energy spent on frivolous details or ornate designs. Efficient, geometrical structures made of concrete and glass dominated urban forms for half a century while this view prevailed.
- d Process that occurs when soils in arid areas are brought under cultivation through irrigation. In arid climates, water evaporates quickly off the ground surface, leaving salty residues that render the soil infertile
- e Loss of the top fertile layer of soil through erosion. It is a tremendous problem in areas with fragile soils, steep slopes or torrential seasonal rains.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A process occurring in many inner cities in which they become dilapidated centers of poverty as affluent whites move out to the suburbs and immigrants and people of color vie for scarce jobs and resources.
- A form of technology that uses living organisms, usually genes, to modify products, to make or modify plants and animals, or to develop other microorganisms for specific purposes
- Person who left the inner city and moved to outlying suburban and rural areas
- Any farm economy in which most crops are grown for nearly exclusive family or local consumption
- Crops including items like peanuts and pineapples, which are produced, usually in developing countries, for export
5 True/False questions
Pesticides → Cities, mostly characteristic of the developing world, where high population growth and migration have caused them to explode in population since World War II. All megacities are plagued by chaotic and unplanned growth, terrible pollution and widespread poverty.
Latin American city → Cities in Latin America that owe much of their structure to colonialism, the rapid rise of industrialization and continual rapid increases in population. Similar to other colonial cities, they also demonstrate distinctive sectors of industrial or residential development radiating out from the CBD, where most industrial and financial activity occurs.
Colonial city → Cities established by colonizing empires as administrative centers. Often they were established on already existing native cities, completely overtaking their infrastructures.
City Beautiful Movement → The geographical area that contains the space an individual interacts with on a daily basis
Intensive cultivation → Any kind of agricultural activity that involves effective and efficient use of labor on small plots of land to maximize crop yield