Create an account
8 steps for selecting an ICD-9-CM procedure code
1. Identify the main term in the procedure statement
2. Locate the main term in the Alphabetic Index
3. Review the procedure statement for additional information about the main term
4. Review the subterms listed under the main term
5. Follow any cross-reference instructions, such as "code also"
6. Check the code listed in the Alphabetic Index with
the description in the Tabular List
7. Read and follow all inclusion, exclusion, and other instruction notes
8. Assign codes tot he highest level of specificity
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together